Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Offlite lamps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/offlite-lamps-t160311.html)

arbed31 10-14-2011 06:31 AM

I have a Ottlite floor lamp and love it. A couple of weeks ago, I accidentally bumped it and the bulb fell out and broke!

I searched online for one and purchased the bulb from Amazon, with shipping I paid $18. Other prices were $34.99 plus shipping.

A1penny 10-14-2011 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
My ott lite finally burnt out and I went last weekend to get a new bulb - $39. Could almost get a new light.

I'm shocked! I have a 4 Ott lamps. One is a floor model, the others are the table models, one with a magnifier I use for beading. A girl friend gave me FIVE new bulbs. She worked for a book company and samples were always sent for books, supplies, etc. They had no need of these bulbs.......so I got them. I had NO idea of the cost of the bulbs, $39 seems wildly excessive!
(Oh, in all the years I've had these lights, no bulb has ever burned out! Guess I'm lucky!)

AliKat 10-14-2011 06:41 AM

There are less expensive bulbs. Even the DIY stores like Home Depot carry them.

My ott-like lamp was given to me by a friend who ordered a floor lamp online but was sent two of them. I got a gift.

As my eyes 'mature' I am really glad I have it. Much easier to read and work with it.

ali

quiltingcandy 10-14-2011 07:37 AM

I have 3 of them. 2 floor lamps, which I have next to my sewing chair & sewing machine and a desk lamp which is on a bookshelf that is next to the chair in my sewing room, so acts like a floor lamp.

Each came with replacement bulbs, so I am well stocked for now. So far have not had to replace any.

athenagwis 10-14-2011 07:39 AM

I love my Ott Light, it is sooooo bright!! I usually end up pointing mine at the ceiling because sometimes it can be too bright, but I would highly recommend them for sure. :) The bulbs last quite a long time as they are not regular light bulbs, so you probably won't have to worry about replacing them much anyway. I have had mine for 2 years without having to replace it.

Good luck!
Rachel

schoolteacher 10-14-2011 08:33 AM

Sorry!! Ott it is --not off!! Guess I need an OTTlite to see what I'm typing!! Thanks for the correction and information.

BellaBoo 10-14-2011 08:36 AM

The Ott brand bulbs are expensive but the last about 10 times longer then the other daylight bulbs. I'm still on the original bulb that came with my Ott lamp and it it's over 10 years old. I turn it on and leave it on all day when I'm sewing. When Hancock Fabrics went out of business in my town, I bought all the OTT bulbs on clearance that would fit my lamp. I haven't used one yet.

slovard01 10-14-2011 09:04 AM

I have had my Ott Light for over 10 years now, and I am still using the original bulb. I LOVED it when I went back to college and had to read so much. It didn't cause glare on the pages but was bright for my old eyes. I love it as additional light on my computer also. And of course I have to have it when stitching.

girlsfour 10-15-2011 02:59 AM

Hancock Fabrics Ott Lights are 50% off right now. They also have some on clearance.

gypsyquilter 10-15-2011 03:03 AM

i have 4, one floor model I use in in the living room when working on hand work stuff, one on my cutting table, one by my machine and one I keep in my mag with my travel/retreat/class staff. I should get one more, because now my husband has decided he loves my ott lite when working on his camera equipment! expensive, yes, wait for the coupon and check out create for less on the web, they can sometime have good deals on replacement bulbs. I've replaced one bulb in one machine in (gasp) 6 years.