Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oh boy what a mistake by me!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-boy-what-mistake-me-t288386.html)

sewbizgirl 05-20-2017 07:49 PM

Yes, finish your quilt! The sample you washed and shrunk wasn't attached to batting and backing and quilted, so you are comparing apples and oranges.

You don't need to stress about this anymore. Just quilt it and be done. It will be fine. I use mixtures of prewashed and not prewashed fabrics all the time and you would never know which was which after the first wash.

Jingle 05-20-2017 07:51 PM

I do like the brown instead of green.

A lot of people on here have said they never pre-wash fabrics unless it is a color known to bleed. So my point is - how would they know if a fabric in their finished quilt will shrink or not? A child's quilt I certainly would not spend all the time needed to rip it out. Just me.

illinois 05-21-2017 03:34 AM

Me, too! I don't prewash unless I suspect possible bleeding--use a color catcher. Proceed as usual without regard to what you think is shrinkage. I'm a hand quilter and I'd stitch 1/4" inside the seam to stabilize the brown. Don't fret on the "dense quilting". Also I almost always use poly batting. I like the puff and I have had no problems with any issues suggested here. This is a cute quilt. Finish it and find something else to worry about! Love it, dear.

Karamarie 05-21-2017 03:51 AM

No wonder we can't sleep at night.

Taughtby Grandma 05-21-2017 04:21 AM

I'm not usually a fan of brown, but I really like the way this sets off the dinosaur blocks. Very pretty.

klswift 05-21-2017 05:33 AM

You are going to be the only one who ever notices. They will be thrilled with such a wonderful quilt. And your choice of the browns are perfect.

Ellen 1 05-21-2017 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 7827812)
"............ I think if you heavy quilt it, you can get it stabilized. I wouldn't go with SITD, as that would leave the open areas more apt to show the shrinkage.
Instead head towards some sort of an all over pattern, where the stitching will cross the seam lines as well as stabilize the fabric...................."

I agree with QuiltE. Loose quilting will not keep everything in place. I would not rip this again. I would quilt it (semi heavily) and call it done. Tell the lady to only wash it in cold water. That will help with the shrinkage. Hope to hear how she loves this quilt. Ellen

citruscountyquilter 05-21-2017 07:08 AM

I use washed and unwashed fabric all the time in quilts and never have a problem. Once they are sewn together and quilted everything is fine.

The crinkled look after washing comes from the cotton batting shrinking and not the fabric. If you don't like that look use a different batting.

Austinite 05-21-2017 07:27 AM

no panic! I'm not a prewasher and I've been known to mix older washed scraps that I've salvaged with brand new fabric, never had an issue. That little man will adore his quilt :)

Judith1005 05-21-2017 08:25 AM

I say quilt and go for it. I use washed and unwashed together all the time. And thankfully, no major problems. And, I don't quilt heavily. I like my quilts soft and squishy.

And, Love the switch to dark brown. It really does POP the dinosaurs.

I hope it comes out great!!