Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   oh dear! What do I HEAR? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-dear-what-do-i-hear-t227001.html)

piepatch 08-02-2013 02:58 AM

I once saw a post on here (or maybe another forum) of someone who finished a quilt and not only heard a noise in a block, but felt movement! It turned out she had quilted a cockroach into her quilt, and it was still alive! She, being afraid of cockroaches, had her husband remove it from the quilt. You are fortunate you only have a piece of paper to worry about!

Steady Stiching 08-02-2013 04:15 AM

You won't need a big slit but i think thats your only option.
After you close the slit you could place a small applique (it will have to be hand applique) to cover it.
* the slit can be very small..as someone already mentioned, carefully score paper and remove a bit at a time through the small slit.

margecam52 08-02-2013 06:26 AM

If it's not quilted yet...I'd slit the back of the piece & remove the paper...this is the back of the block and not the quilt backing. If you have the backing on already...and you know the fabric is color fast...spritz the spot with water to soften the paper and seperate it from the fusible.

Originally Posted by JanTx (Post 6208126)
That's right - not see, feel, or notice in a quilt top - what do I HEAR? I was folding a quilt top when I heard a ... crackle? Yes, definitely a crackle. After feeling all over the top I found that under two spots in the applique there's a noise - I think I left the paper part of the fusible stuff still on. How on earth that is possible I have no idea, but ... what else could it be? It sounds a lot like the crackle stuff you put in baby toys to give them auditory stimulation. NOT what you want to hear in an adult quilt - not quite that loud, but that kind of sound. This is a quilt I'm being PAID to make! That I've spent hours and hours on. Poor pitiful me!!!

I'm wondering if I can go from the back and cut a slit in the background, somehow remove the paper backing and hope for the best when I quilt it. The other solution is to remove those pieces, remove the paper and then redo the stitching. We're talking a queen sized top now, not the blocks I originally sewed.

Have you EVER heard of such a thing? Any other suggestions? Recommendations?

The crackle is under the green/purple floral. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t225364.html

AZ Jane 08-02-2013 07:31 AM

The other solution is to remove those pieces, remove the paper and then redo the stitching. - You knew the answer.

Friday1961 08-02-2013 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by piepatch (Post 6210054)
I once saw a post on here (or maybe another forum) of someone who finished a quilt and not only heard a noise in a block, but felt movement! It turned out she had quilted a cockroach into her quilt, and it was still alive! She, being afraid of cockroaches, had her husband remove it from the quilt. You are fortunate you only have a piece of paper to worry about!

Ugh! This reminds me of an episode of Big Bang Theory in which Penny found a chair on the curb.....and later movement in it! Funny! But not in person!

butterflies5518 08-02-2013 05:10 PM

Beautiful block shown in the link!

kwiltkrazy 08-02-2013 08:23 PM

going in from the back is used all the time in certain kinds of applique, so go ahead and do it it will stand up to it.

JanTx 08-02-2013 08:43 PM

it's done! I window paned the center of the block from the back - not the backing, just the back of the block. (I cut out the fabric that was covered by other applique pieces - cutting a slit from the back and leaving just a seam allowance around the noisy piece. That little circle in the center of the flower is where the paper backing was. Sounded like an 8 X 8" piece of paper crackling, but it was no more than a 2" square! It's done. The block is none the worse for wear - all is good. Now to sandwich and quilt the thing!

kwiltkrazy 08-02-2013 08:45 PM

good, now you can exhale, and start breathing again.

QandE2010 08-04-2013 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by piepatch (Post 6210054)

That quilt would be given to someone else to finish, I am afraid. GROSS