Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oh!My!Gosh!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-my-gosh-t280641.html)

nanac 07-21-2016 05:37 PM

Oh!My!Gosh!!!!

Went to an estate auction, which I don't normally do. They had several lots of fabric. Although probably the last thing I need is more fabric, I bid on one lot. It was a "take one, take all" deal. I spent $47.50, and ended up with 7 boxes of fabric, one tote filled with sheets and pillowcases, and one tote that appeared to be bits and pieces. I
When I got it home, there are 4 lengths of fabric (burgundies and dusky pinks) that are each easily 3 yds each. There are 10 appliqued sunflower blocks that are about 10x12. There are multiple pieced blocks of different patterns, and 14 Dresden plates on cream colored muslin. There are many 1/4-1/2 yard lengths of different prints. I'd guess there is easily 50-60 yards, total. There are also several small bags of cardboard pattern pieces, but I haven't tried to put any of them together to figure out what the pattern will look like.
But the best surprise was when I got to the bottom of the "scraps" tote. I found about 1/2 a bolt of quality muslin, and 3(!!) pieced tops - all stars. One is a log cabin type in Blue and White, with red accent stars. One is a simple 8-point star, with green sashing; the stars appear to be appliqued with a big black running stitch, and may possibly be made of feedsack fabric. The third one is a blue and white Hunter's star.
I am going to wash all the fabric, and when I get it all clean and organized, I will (try to) post pictures. This is just amazing to me that so much love went into these, and they ended up being sold at auction for literally pennies.

tellabella 07-21-2016 05:47 PM

So nice or went to someone who is going to enjoy and appreciate it...

maryb119 07-21-2016 06:13 PM

WOW! What a haul!!! I am looking forward to pictures.

slbram17 07-21-2016 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by nanac (Post 7607762)
Went to an estate auction, which I don't normally do. They had several lots of fabric. Although probably the last thing I need is more fabric, I bid on one lot. It was a "take one, take all" deal. I spent $47.50, and ended up with 7 boxes of fabric, one tote filled with sheets and pillowcases, and one tote that appeared to be bits and pieces. I
When I got it home, there are 4 lengths of fabric (burgundies and dusky pinks) that are each easily 3 yds each. There are 10 appliqued sunflower blocks that are about 10x12. There are multiple pieced blocks of different patterns, and 14 Dresden plates on cream colored muslin. There are many 1/4-1/2 yard lengths of different prints. I'd guess there is easily 50-60 yards, total. There are also several small bags of cardboard pattern pieces, but I haven't tried to put any of them together to figure out what the pattern will look like.
But the best surprise was when I got to the bottom of the "scraps" tote. I found about 1/2 a bolt of quality muslin, and 3(!!) pieced tops - all stars. One is a log cabin type in Blue and White, with red accent stars. One is a simple 8-point star, with green sashing; the stars appear to be appliqued with a big black running stitch, and may possibly be made of feedsack fabric. The third one is a blue and white Hunter's star.
I am going to wash all the fabric, and when I get it all clean and organized, I will (try to) post pictures. This is just amazing to me that so much love went into these, and they ended up being sold at auction for literally pennies.

Used to go to estate auctions, and would see some completed quilts going for 5 dollars. I stopped going to them, they kind of make me sad, and I don't need anything to be honest. I have no self control at the auctions so best for me to realize that and stay away.

Just me though.

TeresaA 07-21-2016 06:15 PM

The amazing thing is it all found its way to you. I'm sure the quiltmaker is looking down at you with pride.

zozee 07-21-2016 06:28 PM

I'm so happy for you! I'm sure you'll smile many times over as you create new things and finish old things from your new pile of treasures.

ragamuffin 07-21-2016 08:30 PM

Last weekend my husband and I went to a few garage sales. At the one, the lady was selling bolts of fabric, 10 yards to the bolt, still in the wrapping it came in. She sold them to me for $10 a bolt, so I bought all 5 bolts. It would have been $1 a yard and I cannot find backing for that price. I still cannot believe she sold them for that. Nice 100% cotton too.
Some darker blues and burgundy, colors that could all go into one quilt top. I showed them to my Amish quilting friend and she just gasped.. I told her I would share if and when she needed some.

Onebyone 07-21-2016 08:43 PM

I quit going to estate sales and yard sales. I come home with great stuff but I realized I already had great stuff. LOL

Tiggersmom 07-21-2016 09:34 PM

Wonderful find for you! At least you will appreciate these terrific treasures. Looking forward to seeing pictures also. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Jane Quilter 07-21-2016 09:59 PM

So glad you found it rather than it getting trashed, burned or mouse eaten. cant wait to see the pictures.