Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oh My Gosh Wavy Strips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-my-gosh-wavy-strips-t131284.html)

sueisallaboutquilts 06-18-2011 03:33 AM

Aww, she sounds really frustrated and you do too b/c you're such a sweet friend!! Hope it works out :)

watterstide 06-18-2011 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Bless your heart. Sounds like she did not cut the strips square to the fold of the fabric & wound up with Vs instead of strips.

i agree..AND when your sewing length of fabric strips, you need to rotate them..top of the strip,sewed to the next "bottom" of the strip. i know, clear as mud. i was taught this when i was making a quilt with strips/strings. to keep it from getting all wonky.

Copied from our own "quilting news letter"

"Strip Piecing - When strip piecing, sew two strips together and press. First 'set the seam' by pressing the side of the strip set that you will be pressing the seam allowance toward - then open and press the strips on the right side. For example if you are stitching a blue strip to a green strip and you wish to press toward the blue, run your iron over the seam on the blue side of the strip set. Then open the strip and press the green strip as the iron pushes toward the blue strip.

Take the third strip and sew it in the opposite direction of the first stitching. Press again as above. Continue adding strips by reversing the sewing direction as each strip is added. Press after each strip is added. This sewing and pressing method really helps in keeping the strip sets even so they don't curve or twist."

patchsamkim 06-18-2011 03:48 AM

Has she taken a class? Maybe offer to go to a class with her...that way you would be showing your support, but someone else would be doing the teaching. I hope it works out so she does continue quilting.

bigsister63 06-18-2011 05:13 AM

Hasn't this happened to most of us! I know that this is usually my pattern- see new project, jump right in the middle of the process with out starting at begining and learning basic terchniques and then having mess and want to stop. I think that your friend is not unusual. Correct her mistakes and then asked her if she want you to show her the basics. Quilting is not hard but there are techniques that make it easier. I think that it is easier to learn from other people's mistakes and methods. At least she did not throw the fabric away!

PaperPrincess 06-18-2011 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee
... She has always said that it's easy to make a quilt. (she has never made one).

Sadly, I think that a lot of folks have this idea, which is why gifts are sometimes not appreciated and people are amazed at what you would charge them to make a quilt. I agree with the other posters who said to give her some time, then suggest taking a class together.

Dina 06-18-2011 05:30 AM

I suspect she is embarrassed to have messed up so badly and really was ready to toss it. I can understand that. It is easier to mess up with a stranger than with a friend. It shouldn't be, but it is. (or at least it is for me...) She needs to start a new project that is guaranteed easy...and a small project. She has already learned a lot, now she could just learn a little at a time. :)

...I just reread this and none of it may be accurate....just me trying to put myself in her place. You are a good friend, and she certainly needs that.

IrishNY 06-18-2011 06:09 AM

This is the kind of situation that I use my "oh, you made the same mistake I did when I started. We all make this one once, at least" chatter. As soon as you tell them you did the same thing, it takes the ego out of the way because you are being vulnerable with them. Usually that opens them up to be able to listen.

And we have all made that mistake, or worse! :D