Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oh my, I went and said yes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-my-i-went-said-yes-t18043.html)

BellaBoo 03-23-2009 07:33 PM

And now I am the new guild President. :shock: Of course anyone that says yes can have the job. :lol: Any guild presidents are ex presidents here that can give me some good advice?

Shemjo 03-23-2009 07:38 PM

Congratulations! I stopped at Vice President several years ago. It is a good feeling to be able to help in some service position! :lol:

mimisharon 03-23-2009 07:38 PM

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be wonderful at it!!

Sharon

Janstar 03-23-2009 07:44 PM

Congrats to you, you'll do fine. I would'nt mind serving in a guild but I work out of our town 7 months of the year so maybe someday.

Sharon M 03-23-2009 07:45 PM

Congratulations Madame President :!: I hope this is a postitive experience for you and your guild. :D

mamatobugboo 03-24-2009 05:38 AM

good for you! What excitement!

sandpat 03-24-2009 05:43 AM

Congrats...should we bow at your feet now? Hope you have a good time!

tlrnhi 03-24-2009 05:48 AM

Congrats!! Do you get a "white house" to live in too? lol
I'm sure you'll do fine!

Mousie 03-24-2009 06:24 AM

Bellaboo, I can't give any specific advice about your guild, but my hubby is in a different kind of group, captain of that for 11 years, and now president of another part of it.
I would try to delegate as much of the work and ideas that you can. People love to help. That's the motivator right there. I have seen, that if people think of something as an activity, they just sigh to themselves, and think, oh boy, I don't know...one more thing on my plate...but, if they think someone needs their help?...well, I have room for just 1 more, if it is going to really help someone.
It helps them too. t lets thIem know, that what they do matters. I think you have that brand new, what have I gotten myself into? feeling.
Take a deep breath, and just let other ppl know that they are very important to the success of the whole group, each and every one.
One person cannot do it alone, but they will let you, if you don't speak up, and light a fire under their hiny's. :wink:
You will do fine! Really. :D

mpspeedy 03-24-2009 06:44 AM

Been there done that. If you have no problem with public speaking it should be a breeze. Most guilds have committes set up and they pretty much run themselves. The only problem I encountered was putting up with an occasional know it all who thought I should follow "their" agenda. My daytime guild has a monthly pot luck. I was standing in line to fill my plate when a member acosted me and suggested that we have the quilt show which was opening the next day professionally judged. Of course she was qualified to do the task.
Since my other guild had done that very thing just once I knew how much time and trouble as well as expense it was and caused. I think my reply was something like what a wonderful idea for the "next" show.
Ironically Mimi Dietrich who is one of the founding mothers of that guild was horrified when I asked her opinion of the idea. We did not have the show judged and I survived my year as president.

Good luck with your new position Madam President.