Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   oh my! patch or trim? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-my-patch-trim-t272273.html)

IQ2 11-15-2015 10:11 AM

oh my! patch or trim?

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished quilting a 72x84" quilt and am ready to bind it and I have a dilemma. (see pic)

As I trimmed one of the 84" sides, I found that the top 12" block is about 3/8" too narrow. I trimmed the side to the width of the rest of the blocks, leaving this 12" with the batting and backing sticking out beyond the shorty block. It's too much of a gap for binding to cover.

I was thinking I could sew and flip a piece of the light color fabric down that section before putting the binding on. It's the same color as the light stripe in the block and also the same color as the binding. Do you think this would be better than having to trim almost 1/2" off the entire side, leaving those blocks with narrower stripes than the rest of the quilt? I have already prepared 2 1/4" narrow size binding strips and I also don't like the look of wide bindings.

Would you patch or trim? (it's not a gift or a show quilt...it's for hubby)

lynnie 11-15-2015 10:27 AM

i'd probably trim if it's just for home.

IQ2 11-15-2015 10:29 AM

that was my first instinct too, but it seems such a shame for such a small length of error.
thanks, Lynnie.

dunster 11-15-2015 10:30 AM

My honest opinion is that DH will never know the difference if the quilt is not exactly square, so I would do neither. Just shave off that bit of batting and bind the quilt. If you are more of a perfectionist, then I see nothing wrong with adding a little fabric to that edge and then bind. I definitely would not trim the entire side, because that would be more noticeable.

Tartan 11-15-2015 10:47 AM

I might add a strip and see if it would be covered if I did the machine binding with flange? I would only do that if it was going to bug me if the bottom strip was a tiny bit narrower from trimming the edge. It looks like there isn't much to trim on the dark horizontal fabric strip and the other fabrics you won't notice at all if they are trimmed.

Dina 11-15-2015 12:36 PM

I'd patch. Been there, done that. Patch worked just fine. :)

Dina

sewingitalltogether 11-15-2015 12:42 PM

I'd trim it.

pojo 11-15-2015 01:36 PM

I would patch it.

RST 11-15-2015 02:57 PM

I agree with Dunster -- shave it and think no more of it.

3/8 of an inch is not worthy of agony, and is well within the realm of acceptable variation. If you look closely at commercially made linens, there may easily be even more variation in side lengths, and it's just not noticable.

quilterpurpledog 11-15-2015 03:36 PM

I know that I would put in a patch to repair the problem. Yes, I have done it. Be sure to use the same fabric on that corner and be careful to match any pattern in that fabric. The add batting if that is also short by feather-stitching on a small piece. Check your backing for any problem and add a matching patch if necessary. Then, treat the corner as you would if there were no problem. After you get the binding one you will hardly be able to see it unless you really look for it. I cannot speak for anyone but myself but I cannot let an error go 'unfixed problem' go-I will know its there even if no one else knows.