Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OH NO!!!!!!!!! I use plastic for alot of things and (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-no-i-use-plastic-alot-things-t88974.html)

mom2boyz 01-09-2011 11:04 AM

I just read on the Clotilde hints column that you should not store fabric in plastic as it might create brown spots on the fabric. It didn't explain further so I don't know if it means all plastic such as in containers, zip lock bags etc. Have any of you had problems of brown spots or anything else by storing in plastic?

Vanuatu Jill 01-09-2011 11:07 AM

I have had all fabric for complete quilts (not cut yet) stored in Zip Lock bags for a few years, and when I took them out, there were no problems-that's all the experience I'v had with storing long term in plastic.

JulieR 01-09-2011 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I have had all fabric for complete quilts (not cut yet) stored in Zip Lock bags for a few years, and when I took them out, there were no problems-that's all the experience I'v had with storing long term in plastic.

Ditto! Anyway, I think I'll take my chances with brown spots when the odds I'll get a mouse, a moth or other downer are much higher

MinnieKat 01-09-2011 11:08 AM

I store a lot of quilt kits etc in plastic and I've never had a problem either.

zennia 01-09-2011 11:10 AM

I use plastic containers for all my quilting projects with no problems. some have been in the plastic a loooong time.

Prism99 01-09-2011 11:12 AM

It's only certain plastics that are a problem. Plastic bags are generally not a good idea; they outgas chemicals that can eventually damage fabric. It may be only some types of flexible plastic; I'm not sure which.

My understanding is that solid plastic containers are fine. The only problem with them is the possibility of sealing in moisture along with the fabric (which could eventually produce mold). A few holes in the lid or body means there will be some air circulation and a means for moisture to escape. I do wonder, though, if they would give mice a means of getting in and out of the box.... :shock:

hobo2000 01-09-2011 11:12 AM

Try 15-18 years and they are like new.

nativetexan 01-09-2011 11:19 AM

well so far lots of my stash is in plastic tubs. not enough room in cabinets!!

sherriequilts 01-09-2011 11:34 AM

oh dear I am in trouble then. I packed most of my stash in bags from Home Depot and the grocery store and it's sitting in the semi waiting for my house to sell and I am in New Mexico recovering from getting two new knees. I better hurry back to CA and un-bag it all. Yikes! And I thought I was being SOOOOOOOO smart!

Mitch's mom 01-09-2011 11:36 AM

I store fabric in plastic tubs with no trouble. As for the fear of trapping moisture inside the tub, I would place a packet of silica gel crystals inside the tub before I would put holes in the tub. I remember seeing pictures from the aftermath of Katrina with Rubbermaid tubs floating inside the homes. The stuff in the tubs was dry as a bone and salvageable.