Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oh NO!! My sewing machine is smoking!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-no-my-sewing-machine-smoking-t169980.html)

nanna-up-north 11-27-2011 04:53 AM

Oh NO!! My sewing machine is smoking!!

I've never had a machine start sewing by itself and then start smoking. But, that's what happened yesterday. I pulled the plug but...... don't know what happened. It's an older Viking (1970) but it has always been such a great machine. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I'm going to take it in to the shop this week....... I can't let this machine die...... it was my first Viking.... I still love it to death.

sandyo 11-27-2011 04:55 AM

sounds like it shorted out. good luck but does not sound promising.

1000projects 11-27-2011 04:59 AM

I think a little re-wire will fix it. They will be able to see exactly where the short is.

nhweaver 11-27-2011 05:17 AM

I am glad that you saw it happen and pulled the plug. It could have caught fire! It sounds like the insulation around a wire wore thin. I usually don't have my machines in for a checkup, but my Janome 10000 is 10 years old and has some mileage on it. I may bring it to the dealer to have it checked out. My DH maintains my featherweights, and has had to fix the wiring on some. Vibration can wear away the wire coating.

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 4724610)
I've never had a machine start sewing by itself and then start smoking. But, that's what happened yesterday. I pulled the plug but...... don't know what happened. It's an older Viking (1970) but it has always been such a great machine. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I'm going to take it in to the shop this week....... I can't let this machine die...... it was my first Viking.... I still love it to death.

Michellesews 11-27-2011 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 4724610)

It could be the plug on the machine, and again, it could the your outlet...have both checked. I have a 1963 Singer 600 and did not realize on it that when I 'turn it off'...which means the light is off, the foot pedal is actually still "on", I know this because when I picked it up after sitting for days plugged in, it was hot to the touch. Now I unplug the whole thing. I wonder if your older Viking might be the same way? It is really always on and you didn't realize it?
Michelle

nabobw 11-27-2011 05:33 AM

Yes I did see that happen once before with a old viking.

sueisallaboutquilts 11-27-2011 05:36 AM

Aww,, hope you can get it fixed! We get attached to our machines!!

athomenow 11-27-2011 05:36 AM

If it's computerized it could be the motherboard went out and had a fit before dying. What kind of Viking is it? I love both of mine and really dread the day it can't be fixed if it goes.

GlitzyMe 11-27-2011 05:54 AM

Unplug it and go shopping for a new one. I'm a Viking gal but no machine is worth risking your home.

KerryK 11-27-2011 06:11 AM

That's scary! I have a Viking 940 (1982) that I dearly love, so I understand your concern about losing it. However, better to lose a machine than your home! Take it to a reputable dealer, someone you trust. In fact, if I were you I'd do my best to take it to a Viking dealer who sells new machines ... just in case! LOL Glad you were home when it happened! :)