Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oh no, no, no, no! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-no-no-no-no-t269507.html)

ruby2shoes 09-01-2015 11:08 PM

Oh no, no, no, no!

I was tidying up the sewing room after completing my chevron quilt for my grandson when I came across the scrap of fabric left over from my binding, picked it up and started to fold it and on so doing noticed that I had cut the strips for my binding lengthways along the grain. :( Usually If I have enough fabric I make it on the bias, if not, I cut my strips across the grain...selvedge to selvedge which is what I intended to do but this time I have completely mucked it up and cut it lengthways. How could I have made this mistake!! Stupid, stupid inattention!:mad::mad: I've googled "straight grain binding" and am now devasted....do I really have to remove all my binding and redo it? A sad little corner of my brain reasons that maybe cutting it lengthways with the grain will, although giving it no stretch or ease, will give a firm edging for a little boys quilt....am I kidding myself here? Is it really going to wear quickly? I don't mind actually making and sewing on binding but it's just the idea of the hours it is going to take me to unpick the binding from the quilt. I guess I could just make the quilt a smidge smaller by cutting the binding off but oh dear, what am I to do? What is the right and sensible thing to do apart from a stiff whisky and a good sob into my hanky!

ckcowl 09-02-2015 01:01 AM

I've cut many bindings lengthwise, have never had it cause a problem. Never heard of anyone having a problem with it cut that way. The good part ( to me) is much fewer joins ( weak / bulky spots) I use bias binding on curves/ scallop edges and straight grain the rest of the time.

NJ Quilter 09-02-2015 01:15 AM

I use straight grain binding all the time and have never had an issues. Granted, I usually do cross-grain as well, but see no reason why length-wise should not work just as well. Take a deep breath, grab that whiskey and relax!

ruby2shoes 09-02-2015 01:18 AM

Really???? I don't have to replace it??? Oh happy, happy dancing and much hand clapping! Thanks ckcowl and NJQuilter :)

Panchita 09-02-2015 01:28 AM

I know people who *prefer* to bind as you described, and have never heard of it being an issue in real life.

I have *read* about straight-grain binding wearing more quickly than bias, but I have a suspicion it is a rumour concocted by the same people who recommend always cutting border joins on the diagonal 'because it makes them less obvious' (on rare occasions maybe, depending on the fabric pattern, but otherwise it just uses more fabric - so you have to buy more & spend more money)

So my answer would be: leave it as it is. :)

katier825 09-02-2015 01:47 AM

I often cut mine that way intentionally. If I have enough to do borders without piecing, I will also cut the binding of he same fabric cut lengthwise. I've never had an issue with it. I think people tend to cut width-wise because it's easier to handle the fabric. No worries, it will be fine!

kathy 09-02-2015 01:55 AM

it's for a little boy not a museum, relax and start something new.

ruby2shoes 09-02-2015 01:58 AM

Thanks everyone. This quilt is the first quilt I have made as a gift for someone so wanted to do the best job I could. I have used bias cut for little lap quilts but cross grain binding for my 2 larger quilts. I didn't have a big enough square of fabric to do a bias cut binding for this one so decided to do my normal cross cut strips. I guess I was so "worked up" wanting to do everything right I got myself really muddled and cut lengthwise...should've had the whiskey before sewing rather than after!!!!!!!!

piepatch 09-02-2015 02:40 AM

Cutting binding on the lengthwise grain is perfectly fine. I usually cut on the crosswise grain to save fabric, but sometimes cut on the lengthwise grain when I have enough fabric. I never cut on the bias unless I have curved seams.

toverly 09-02-2015 03:00 AM

Dance in your 2 ruby shoes, I do it all the time and it has never created a problem. He'll love it.