Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oh no.....who put the whiteboard marker pen in my Crayolas??!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-no-who-put-whiteboard-marker-pen-my-crayolas-t294939.html)

ruby2shoes 02-19-2018 06:21 PM

Oh no.....who put the whiteboard marker pen in my Crayolas??!!!

Yep, drew some lovely big lines....Dark Pink ones all over my mainly cream quilt top. Can you guess what my heart rate ramped up too when I realised what I had done! I guess luckily I realised as soon as I had done it. Tried dabbing (in different spots) dishwashing liquid, washing powder made into a paste, stain remover, and hand sanitiser(rubbing alcohol). The hand sanitiser was the only thing that had any effect and now, an hour later I have managed to dab dab dab until my fingers are cramped and the lines are faded....not gone...just faded. And I guess I am going to have to live with that. sigh.........

So my question is I now have a pin basted quilt, quilted in the centre out to about halfway all around, and a very soggy side of the quilt where the dastardly event occured. Now, do I just let the quilt dry from its substantial wetting with the hand sanitiser and then wash the quilt as normal when I have finished it or do I attempt to wash or rinse the area now....and if so...how the heck do I manage that? Tomorrow I have to go interstate for a few weeks so this quilt is not going to be finished for about a month.

Any advice most gratefully received......I'm off to have a strong cup of tea as it is too early for a stiff adult drink!!!!!

quiltsRfun 02-19-2018 07:09 PM

I had to wash a pin basted quilt once. (Similar marking experience to yours.) I soaked it in the bathtub, scrubbing the offending areas gently. Then rinsed and squeezed out as much water as I could. As I recall I line dried or laid it flat. (It was a while ago.) I was able to finish the quilting with no problem. Just handle very carefully.

ruby2shoes 02-19-2018 07:27 PM

Thankyou quiltsRfun...I'm just wondering as it was rubbing alcohol (hand sanitiser) that I used do I need to wash it out? Would it just dry and evaporate? Would it leave any residue that I should wash out? Wondering, wondering, wondering.......

zozee 02-19-2018 07:39 PM

I'd take the pins out since you're going to be out of state. But first thread baste it . I'd hate to see it dry and the pins maybe rust onto the fabric. (Maybe they wouldn't but why risk it?) I know it's a big pain in the butt, on top of your marker crisis. I'd probably soak the quilt in the bathtub with cool water and lots vinegar, rinse it in cool water, wring it as dry as possible by hand and then on the spin cycle of your washing machine. THen find a place tolet it air dry till you get back from your trip. Don't dry it in the dryer, no matter what, as heat will set the stains.

Or put in the washer on cold water with a cup of vinegar in the tub. THe reason I mention the bathtub is that the cold water will cover a larger surface area. In the washer it might might bunch up more and miss some spots???

Tartan 02-19-2018 08:08 PM

What colour is your backing? The alcohol shouldn't fade your light fabric but I might be inclined to rinse water through the quilt if the alcohol wouldn't bleach the backing. I am not sure I would want to leave the sanitizer in for a month though.

Onebyone 02-19-2018 09:07 PM

I would let it dry. Quilt it as is and then wash the finished quilt.

JJBlaine 02-19-2018 10:33 PM

One of my kitties once peed on a quilt I was halfway thru hand quilting. Besides the "ick" factor, the smell was so bad I seriously considered throwing the whole thing in the trash. But thought I'd give washing it try.

What I did was put it in a pillowcase, and wash it in a front loader down at the laundromat. I didn't have a front loader at the time, and thought it would be less turbulent than the agitation on a top loader.

Even though i had to wash it several times with a variety of different products to get the smell out, It worked fantastically. My basted layers stayed perfectly put, and I was able to continue working on it.

Cari-in-Oly 02-19-2018 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by JJBlaine (Post 8007385)
One of my kitties once peed on a quilt I was halfway thru hand quilting.

Even though i had to wash it several times with a variety of different products to get the smell out, It worked fantastically. My basted layers stayed perfectly put, and I was able to continue working on it.

White vinegar works very well for cat urine. I put some in the bleach dispenser for the wash cycle and some in the fabric softener dispenser for the rinse cycle and it always gets the smell out.

Cari

Grannies G 02-25-2018 10:37 AM

Did that myself, use Murphy’s Oil Soap. Worked for me. Piece went on for a couple of ribbons. Good luck

Faintly Artistic 02-25-2018 06:23 PM

Rubbing alcohol should take out the dry erase marker. That's what I use to clean the old marks off my dry erase board.