Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oh please give me suggestions... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-please-give-me-suggestions-t129647.html)

collady 06-11-2011 06:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
on how to finish this Lone Star. The star is hand pieced. I don't believe there is a single piece of 100% cotton fabric in the top. A dear friend wants me to finish it for her daughter for Christmas. I was made at least 20 years ago by my friend's late mil. I don't know if the beige fabric is naturally beige or has darken over the years. Also suggestions on how to whiten/brighten the star would be helpful.

AngieS 06-11-2011 07:09 AM

WOW!!! That is so big! Beautiful!

eastermarie 06-11-2011 07:11 AM

Since it is hand stitched, it will have to be treated very carefully. It is very pretty. I doubt the beige has darkened that much over the years. I would be more tempted to finish it first then gently wash. If you don't think the fabrics are 100% cotton, you might try broadcloth which is a poly-cotton. You probably won't be able to match any of the colors exactly, but go for a blend or slightly deeper tone, especially for the border. Your background shade is usually a light colored fabric. Were there any scraps left that you could take with you to the fabric shop? if not, you'll have to take the quilt.

thepolyparrot 06-11-2011 07:17 AM

I would just set it in off-white or natural muslin or even poly-cotton broadcloth - just the usual squares and triangles with a simple border to frame it.

Tea-dying has been really big off and on over the years, but I think OxyClean takes a lot of that out.

If it feels like good quality fabric, maybe it would be worth putting some applique in the setting squares and triangles? It would be awful to put all that time into it and have the original pieces shred in the first laundering, though.

Holice 06-11-2011 07:38 AM

There should be a laundry product that will whiten the fabric without effecting the other colors. Try to find some of that. I believe there is a product that will whiten up the poly/cotton fabric.

mom-6 06-11-2011 07:48 AM

I'm thinking the colors were intentionally chosen as muted rather than crisp white.
I think I would try to find a light beige/tan/cream tonal or blender fabric for the background in keeping with the character of the original fabrics.

clem55 06-11-2011 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I'm thinking the colors were intentionally chosen as muted rather than crisp white.
I think I would try to find a light beige/tan/cream tonal or blender fabric for the background in keeping with the character of the original fabrics.

My thought too!

sahm4605 06-11-2011 08:16 AM

I agree also. go with an off white and a blue in the same tones and the same with the tans/browns for the boarder and just finish it off the normal way. if you can hand stitch it that would be good or just go with the machine stitching. I would also go with a blend also for the fabric type. and maybe if you want to for the backing maybe take a pic of the women who had pieced it originally and if you could find one with the girl who is to get it that would be best and the put that on the back. it will make the quilt so much more special.

collady 06-11-2011 09:45 AM

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will see if my friend has a picture of her daughter with the grandmother. I will be heading to Marshall's Dry Goods on Monday with "Star" in hand to find fabric.

mannem 06-11-2011 09:51 AM

You could first stay stitch around the outside, then put an old sheet in the bathtub under the quilt top to lift it out after you soaked it with a gentle detergent and Color Catcher?