Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ohio Star Help Needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ohio-star-help-needed-t177413.html)

irishrose 01-29-2012 03:29 PM

I have not seen anything except white until recently. I do patterns on lap quilts because both sides will be seen, but bed quilts are white for sure. I do my table runners white no matter what color they are because I can see the quilting. It's your quilt. Do what you wish.

humbird 01-29-2012 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by GammaLou (Post 4922335)
I am just starting to make an Ohio Star quilt in (of course) red and white. I was planning on making the back in plain white but I friend of mine said that 'real' quilters don't put white on the back of their quilts. What's up with that?

If thats the case, I'm going to lock my doors to keep the quilt police out!! I am quilting a quilt with a white back as we speak (type). Don't tell your friend!!!

squiggie 01-29-2012 04:09 PM

When I started quiliting in the early 80's we were taught to use muslin. I always preferred the natural rather than white. Now I use what ever I have on hand. Printed backing can get quite expensive. I have even used sheets thaty I got on sale. the gal that does my long arm work shes she has no problem using sheets. They make a strong backing that is fine when I make quilts for the grandchildren. Use what you want!!!

catmcclure 01-29-2012 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by GammaLou (Post 4922335)
I am just starting to make an Ohio Star quilt in (of course) red and white. I was planning on making the back in plain white but I friend of mine said that 'real' quilters don't put white on the back of their quilts. What's up with that?

I frequently put white or WOW (white on white) backing for my quilts. I get a colored quilt on the front side and, depending on how well the quilting design fits, a solid white trapunto quilt on the back.

sewbeadit 01-29-2012 05:39 PM

Put what you want, just remember it really shows the quilting well, the white, so if you want to show off your beautiful quilting go for it. I like using a colored background though that way I can flip it over if I am wanting a different look on my bed. Whatever floats your boat.

kapatt 01-29-2012 07:09 PM

laughing...just tell her that you're not a "real" quilter because you use white as a backing. In fact, you could name your quilt..."not a real quilt".
;-D

misscarol 01-29-2012 07:37 PM

'real quilters' do what they want!

leatheflea 01-30-2012 02:46 AM

Not to long ago i was showing off a quilt at my moms hair salon. One of her customers was 89 yrs old and had been a quilter all her life. When she saw my floral backing she said "Oh you used colored fabric on the back? I've never done that" She was a real quilter, self taught, patterns from newspapers and magazines. A real quilter to me does what she is inspired to do, because the inspiration is whats real.

quilticing 01-30-2012 03:53 AM

A good many people like to see the quilting on the back. Colored thread on a contrasting solid is beautiful. Patterned backing fabric makes the quilted pattern harder to see. Your choice.

luvstoquilt 01-30-2012 12:36 PM

So, you have a crazy friend! I have quilts from many years ago with white backs and white backgrounds. When you make a quilt you can use whatever color you decide!!!!