Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ohio Star Help Needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ohio-star-help-needed-t177413.html)

toasteo 01-31-2012 10:49 AM

I prefer to use print or colors on the back , it makes a second quilt when reversed (2 for 1) when I use a figured white, it makes the second quilt when it is quilted in colored thread everyone gets to make their choices, isn't that a great plan???

sewingsuz 01-31-2012 10:54 AM

You do what you want for the backing, I am into using what I have even if I have to piece. Go for it!

FroggyinTexas 01-31-2012 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by GammaLou (Post 4922335)
I am just starting to make an Ohio Star quilt in (of course) red and white. I was planning on making the back in plain white but I friend of mine said that 'real' quilters don't put white on the back of their quilts. What's up with that?

Hey, GammaLou--What is the definition of a 'real' quilter? My high school students frequently asked me if my rings were 'real.' "Do you think you're having hallucinations?" I replied. "Do we need to send for an ambulance?"

I love using both bleached and unbleached muslin as quilt backs. The friend who does long arm quilting for me has begun to like those backs because the quilting shows up better on those fabrics than on prints.

And, just for the record, my 'real' rings were set with fabulous Austrian crystals. "Don't tell anyone," a jeweler friend advised me. "Only a jeweler with a loop will be able to tell the difference, and he or she would never tell."

Jingle 01-31-2012 12:43 PM

Others are right - quilts always had white or muslin backings. I use both and a lot of them have had white or off white backings. I like to save most colored or printed fabrics for the fronts.
I'm glad none of my friends know anything at all about quilting. Or I would dump them. I don't have time for that kind of person.

quilterjody 01-31-2012 12:47 PM

I'm not sure I'd like to meet these "real quilters" they sound mean. :)
I actually have some quilts from the 30's and guess what? they are backed in white

marymm 01-31-2012 12:48 PM

I think some people may have turned away from white backs because you can see the quilting so well and busy backs hide flaws. But I believe a white or natural colored back can be beautiful. And absolutely nothing beats a red and white quilt!

southernmema 01-31-2012 01:28 PM

I too agree with almost everyone....use what you want to and what you like.

helenquilt 01-31-2012 02:08 PM

helenquilt

I love white on the back, why do all that quilting if you can't see it

Jackie R 01-31-2012 04:44 PM

There is no such rule that I have ever heard of and your Quilt Police friend is not an authority (I hope) on quilting rules and regulations. Because apparently just about anything is OK - and it's your quilt to do with as you please.

BettyGee 01-31-2012 05:16 PM

If you want a white back then that is what you should do. Be a rebel! Not really, goodness gracious it is your quilt and if you want the back white then that is what it should be.