Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ohio Star pattern question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ohio-star-pattern-question-t236433.html)

mary74 12-10-2013 05:41 AM

Ohio Star pattern question

I want to make Ohio Star blocks for a quilt. I am using only two colors. Do I put sashing between them or do you sew the blocks together without sashing?

QuiltnNan 12-10-2013 05:43 AM

my personal preference for stars is to sash them so the stars stand out. otherwise, it can appear that the secondary pattern stands out more.

mom-6 12-10-2013 05:47 AM

Try laying it out with and without sashing and see which you like best.
Without sashing you will get a secondary pattern.
Google Ohio star quilt pattern images for lots of possibilities.

Dina 12-10-2013 06:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a two color Ohio Star a few years ago. Let me attach a picture, in case it helps you make up your mind...though you will want to experiment and see what looks right to you. :)

Dina

QuiltE 12-10-2013 06:36 AM

I tend to agree with QuiltnNan .... though know the importance of auditioning as per Mom6.

Colour/Fabric placement can make a block look so different, and thus, the same when joining them into the completed quilt.

Another idea is to do the sashing with the same fabric as the background of the block, as that will let your blocks seemingly float.

Or to alternate your blocks with blocks of the same size in a coordinating fabric

Something else that can be considered when making your assembly decision, is what sort of effect you want to create when quilting it. Sometimes that can effect your decisions in putting it all together.

And too, what one person likes, another may not be happy with!!
... so audition, audition, audition!! :)

bigsister63 12-10-2013 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 (Post 6449361)
Try laying it out with and without sashing and see which you like best.
Without sashing you will get a secondary pattern.
Google Ohio star quilt pattern images for lots of possibilities.

I agree!!!

Nammie to 7 12-10-2013 07:17 AM

It would be beautiful either way -- tough decision to make.

mary74 12-10-2013 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 6449439)
I made a two color Ohio Star a few years ago. Let me attach a picture, in case it helps you make up your mind...though you will want to experiment and see what looks right to you. :)

Dina

I can't open the picture. Could you try again please. Thank you.

ManiacQuilter2 12-10-2013 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6449344)
my personal preference for stars is to sash them so the stars stand out. otherwise, it can appear that the secondary pattern stands out more.

I agree !! It is also easier to connect the blocks with the sashing. Without the sashing, any tiny mistake with the points will show up and where the point meet will create a bit of bulk.

Jan in VA 12-10-2013 02:49 PM

Dina's Ohio Star quilt is wonderful and the use of two blues with white makes it even more eye appealing, I feel.
It's a good example for you, Mary. :)

Jan in VA