Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oiling Juki HZL-F series and/or HZL-DX7 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oiling-juki-hzl-f-series-hzl-dx7-t285150.html)

Patricia Drew 01-11-2017 03:08 PM

Oiling Juki HZL-F series and/or HZL-DX7

I have a Juki HZL-DX7, and there are no oiling instructions in the Maintenance section of the Operating Manual. From what I have read, there are conflicting opinions as to whether or not to oil.

The DX7 is apparently very similar to the HZL-F series.

My machine has developed a kind of "rasping" sound. When I unthread the machine, and remove the bobbin case, this sound disappears.

I've contacted Juki Product Support and have not had a reply. My local dealer sells mostly industrial machines, and doesn't appear to be very familiar with my domestic machine.

While waiting for information from either Juki or my local dealer, I was wondering if any of you have are oiling your machines and where.

Prism99 01-11-2017 03:24 PM

Have you examined the bobbin area closely to see if there is an oil wick somewhere? If you can find one, a drop of oil in the wick should help.

tallchick 01-11-2017 03:42 PM

I have a F-600 and I don't believe that any of these models require oiling, perhaps you can contact the shop where you purchased it?? It's a lovely machine and I will upgrade if mine dies, but so far she has been a workhorse with no issues!! I'm sorry your having problems, perhaps try a few different bobbins, some different threads and make sure your bobbin case is inserted correctly........hope you get your issue resolved soon!!

Patricia Drew 01-11-2017 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7739001)
Have you examined the bobbin area closely to see if there is an oil wick somewhere? If you can find one, a drop of oil in the wick should help.

I did look for an oil wick. Couldn't find one.

Patricia Drew 01-11-2017 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick (Post 7739012)
I have a F-600 and I don't believe that any of these models require oiling, perhaps you can contact the shop where you purchased it?? It's a lovely machine and I will upgrade if mine dies, but so far she has been a workhorse with no issues!! I'm sorry your having problems, perhaps try a few different bobbins, some different threads and make sure your bobbin case is inserted correctly........hope you get your issue resolved soon!!

Thanks for the input. I've tried everything you suggested. Unfortunately, the dealer where I purchased is not of much help. They deal mostly with industrial machines.

katier825 01-11-2017 05:32 PM

I have read that the HZL machines are self-lubricating.

Prism99 01-11-2017 06:55 PM

I found this thread that might be helpful, even though it's not your model:
https://sewing.patternreview.com/Sew...ns/topic/69352

I think there would be no harm in lightly oiling the bobbin race. What I am wondering is if the "oil-emitting bearings" in the bobbin area have dried up, thus requiring a maintenance visit. Seems to me manual oiling of that area would not be harmful. Unless the bobbin area is largely plastic, as oil might interact in some negative way with the plastic. If everything is metal, I would try running an oiled finger around the race.

slbram17 01-11-2017 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia Drew (Post 7738991)
I have a Juki HZL-DX7, and there are no oiling instructions in the Maintenance section of the Operating Manual. From what I have read, there are conflicting opinions as to whether or not to oil.

The DX7 is apparently very similar to the HZL-F series.

My machine has developed a kind of "rasping" sound. When I unthread the machine, and remove the bobbin case, this sound disappears.

I've contacted Juki Product Support and have not had a reply. My local dealer sells mostly industrial machines, and doesn't appear to be very familiar with my domestic machine.

While waiting for information from either Juki or my local dealer, I was wondering if any of you have are oiling your machines and where.

I have a machine that does not require oiling either. The sew/vac shop told me though that sometimes the day to day lint/fabric dirt makes its way into the machine and could dry some of the lubrication, and thus maintenance (professional) may be needed.

quiltedsunshine 01-11-2017 07:45 PM

I'm the assistant tech at a Juki/Bernina dealership. The consumer can oil some parts, but you probably don't want to go as deep as we do at the shop. You can remove the needle plate and bobbin basket, and put oil in the hole in the middle, and on the feed dog linkage that's in the front of the needle plate area, on each side -- they're slightly under the plastic on each side. You can also remove the end cover and oil the take-up linkages.

The rasping sound is probably where the thread is being pulled through the thread passage. Sometimes the bobbin basket gets scratches or burrs on the bump in the front. If the damage isn't very much, you can polish the area smooth with a very fine sandpaper (about 400-500 grit). But be gentle -- it only takes a few light strokes. If the damage is too much, the bobbin basket will need to be replaced. Or, the spring that the bump hits gets bent. You can usually straighten it with a screw driver or pair of pliers. Another thought is that there may be a lint build-up or a bent/broken pin under the bobbin basket -- which you'd be able to clean out when you remove the needle plate and bobbin basket.

I hope you're able to get your machine going smoothly.

PS: There should be a wick in the center hole under the bobbin basket. All sewing machines need oil because they're machines. They're just not made as consumer friendly as they used to be. But I assure you, we oil them thoroughly when you bring them in for a service. The key is that you need to take them to the shop for a deep clean and oil occasionally.

Patricia Drew 01-12-2017 05:54 AM

Thanks, Annette in Utah, for all that information. I'll have a look at all the points you mentioned. Thanks again.