Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   oiling your machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oiling-your-machine-t3829.html)

newquiltertoni 01-01-2008 08:14 AM

I have a question about oiling your machine. My MIL got me a basket full of quilt goodies and she gave me oil. As I am a beginner I don't know where exactly or how to keep mine oiled. How often should you do it and what parts get it? I have a Brother CE4000. It is computerized. I searched the manual and don't see anything to be helpful in this area. :( Any tips would be great, I want to make sure it stays working smoothly!

dcurvey 01-01-2008 09:22 AM

I have a Singer and I oil it every time before I work on it. Actually I should say i oil the bobbin area every time. The shaft inside the head of the machine I oil about once every 2 months. In my manual it shows exactly where the oil should go. It's not a computerized machine. Happy New Year

PurplePassion 01-01-2008 09:25 AM

Usually computerized sewing machines don't need oiling. Check with a sewing dealer. I just got a Janome computerized machine and asked if it should need oiling , they said NO , everything is enclosed and has a white grease in it. Elaine

Minda 01-01-2008 10:25 AM

I agree with PurplePassion about checking with a sewing machine dealer. The bobbin area of my Bernina should be oiled regularly, but my Janome should not be oiled. It all depends on the machine.

PamH 01-01-2008 12:15 PM

I got a Janome a few months back, and no where in the manual did it said to oil it, just how to clean the bobbin area, so that is all i do. Now my old Brother told in the manual exactly where to oil it. Pam

fabuchicki 01-01-2008 01:36 PM

I have a Bernina and I was told to oil the thingy that goes around the bobbin (is it the shuttle?) with three drops of oil plus one on the door that you close around the whole bobbin mechanism for every 3 hours of use. Also, you dust under the throat plate and in the bobbin area.

Rebecca Chambley 01-01-2008 01:47 PM

I have a Brother CS 6000, Not suppose to be oiled. At least that is per-manuel. But I clean my machine about 1 a month. I unscrew the plate, remove bobbin and bobbin case, there is usually alot of dust bunnies, that I clean out with a soft brush provided with my machine. I don't oil the bobbin casing, only the parts around it. I then unscrew the casing on top, of my machine ,clean it, not as many dust bunnies, because it's pretty well incased. I oil the moving parts. I don't use 3 in 1 oil. I use sewing machine oil, because it's a finer, lighter grade of oil. And I've had this one 2 1/2 yrs, my old brother I did the same, and I had it 10-12 yrs and never once did I have to take it to a shop. I just recentely gave my old Brother as a gift. I had a Kenmore before my Brothers. I use my machine on the avg of 5-6 days a week. So this is what I do, and it's tried and true for me.