Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ok...I need some help with ideas on to pack for an emergency travel sewing kit. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-i-need-some-help-ideas-pack-emergency-travel-sewing-kit-t116652.html)

Scissor Queen 04-17-2011 05:37 AM

Another hand project would be a Cathedral Windows. The cool part about it is you can make any size from pillow size on up from the same windows.

Rann 04-17-2011 06:26 AM

Prayers for you and your DD.

Dolphyngyrl 04-17-2011 06:30 AM

needle turn applique, You could do a baltimore album quilt

carla m 04-17-2011 07:11 AM

when my mother was terminal i did tons of counted cross stitch it was easy to transport and it soothed her watching me stitch i must admit i didnt quilt back then. i never could sew by hand very well and still dont although im crazy about machine piecing. she just loved to watch a piece of cloth turn into flowers or a verse or picture of some kind i still havent finished the last thing i was working on when she passed. its still a little painful. my mother sewed clothes embroidered did tatting and crocheted but i was always too busy to sit still long enough to learn.
carla

butterflies5518 04-17-2011 07:52 AM

Prayers and super hugs to your family!

Jennifer22206 04-17-2011 08:09 AM

English paper piecing. :) I'm doing a Grandmothers Flower garden and I'm thrilled with it. It's so portable, fits into a ziploc baggie.

A hint so you don't have to cut tons of squares - use a Jelly Roll, cut the squares and then start piecing your flowers!

ronnie17 04-17-2011 09:51 AM

Traditional cathedral window. You can machine sew the "squares" in preparation, put them in the kit and hand sew the centers. I did that for a long time at meetings til the light seemed inadequate. You might also think about getting a portable Ott light to bring along--better for your daughter even than fluorescent. You could do it as an I Spy or random colors, or carefully planned. If you do it in 12-16 inch squares it won;t get heavy or too big until you sew the sections together,.

gramquilter2 04-17-2011 10:13 AM

My vote would be for needle turn applique or applique using wool fabric. Some LQS have wool stitching Grab N Go kits and you would have everything you need except the scissor. The shapes are even precut in these kits.

lots2do 04-17-2011 11:05 AM

Check out the Pacific Rims Quilts online. They have nice patterns that you use two pieces of cloth for. Use a glass door in the daylight to trace the pattern on one. You baste the top to the bottom and only cut the a bit at a time. It's reverse applique. I love their patterns and they fold up small. You'd be amazed at how much you can get done in a short amount of time.

Sharoni 04-17-2011 11:12 AM

You have some great ideas here. Perhaps you'd like this one.
Prepare some 12 x 12 inch, white fabric quilt squares by using Aunt Martha's Hot Iron Transfers. Bring a box of non washable crayons and a piece of fine sandpaper to place under the square while coloring the transfer. You and your daughter can color together and you can make a quilt of the colorings someday. I will pray for you both.