Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OK, I'm sold. Aurifil...it's been really nice but I have a new love now. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-im-sold-aurifil-its-been-really-nice-but-i-have-new-love-now-t253023.html)

Sewnoma 09-04-2014 06:08 AM

OK, I'm sold. Aurifil...it's been really nice but I have a new love now.

Aurifil has been my favorite piecing thread for the last 2 years (basically ever since I decided to seriously start quilting). I love how thin and un-linty it is. It's been my go-to thread for piecing and for SITD quilting ever since I first tried it.

Then the ladies at my guild told me to try Precensia. "It's just as thin," they said, "but it's twice as strong!"

Strong? I don't have problem with thread strength, I said, just before I started having thread breakage problems. (Hellooo Murphy's Law!) It was a class project for marking quilts, trying to sew through a quilt sandwich with sticky stabilizer on top with the quilting lines on the stabilizer. I couldn't get more than 2 inches without thread breaking.

So I bought a cone, even though it was pretty expensive and I was pretty sure I'd be sticking with Aurifil. But I like to try people's advice because sometimes they're totally right about things.

When it arrived, I pulled out some Aurifil and eyeballed the two threads critically.

Looks nice and thin. That's good. But doesn't beat Aurifil.
Doesn't look fuzzy. Hm, also good. But doesn't beat Aurifil.
Then I did a break test and nearly severed a finger. (OK, slight exaggeration, but I actually did bleed a little) Well OK now, that totally beats Aurifil.

So I spun up a few bobbins and tested it on my class project. Zero breakage. That third ply really does make a difference!!

OK Precensia, you win!! I still have at least a dozen spools of Aurifil that I'll use up (it's still very good thread), but I think from here on out, my new piecing thread purchases will be Precensia. I'm hoping they have a booth at PIQF so I can score some deals!

ManiacQuilter2 09-04-2014 06:11 AM

Thanks for the info. Interesting......

Jackie Spencer 09-04-2014 06:46 AM

Ok, willing to try! But where can I get it? Thanks for the info in advance.

NikkiLu 09-04-2014 06:49 AM

So glad to know this! Online only????

PaperPrincess 09-04-2014 06:49 AM

I also use PRESENCIA (note spelling ;-))for all my piecing. I get the large cones on ebay, and Red Rock also carries it. My LQS also has it, in the small spools, which is how I found out about it. I really like the 60 wt. I have also used it on my longarm and it works great.

Onebyone 09-04-2014 06:55 AM

What wt. did you buy? It come in 40wt 50wt and 60wt.

WTxRed 09-04-2014 06:58 AM

Presencia also makes pretty impressive embroidery floss - with no bleeds.... color charts to match other brands... if you hand embroidery - it's worth a test!

mckwilter 09-04-2014 07:17 AM

I love the Presencia. I learned about it while in a Harriett Hargrave quilting class, and you can buy it off her website. I use the 60/3, which is just as strong, but finer than 50/3. I have never used Aurifil, because it was my understanding that it is 50/2. I may be wrong; if so, mea culpa. I was using Gutterman, which is very linty, but since I clean my bobbin area every time I change a bobbin, I don't mind. I purchased the Presencia in cones of the basic neutral colors (black, white, ecru, taupe, and gray). I think I paid $25 a cone, which was the most I had ever paid for thread, but it is worth every penny.

joyce blint 09-04-2014 07:30 AM

Presencia thread....thank you for sharing.

Tartan 09-04-2014 08:13 AM

Okay, now I have to try it!:)