Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ok To Just Create the Tops? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-just-create-tops-t209586.html)

GrannieAnnie 12-29-2012 06:08 PM

Do what makes YOU happy/ Forcing yourself to do otherwise may make you hate anything to do with quilting.

Hope hubby's health improves

Tropical 12-29-2012 06:08 PM

Thank you so much for your replies. I feel better about not finishing them all now. I guess, when things get better, again, for my DH I will be able to learn how to make the sandwich. I will research how to make coverlets. Making miniatures sounds like fun and I won't need as much fabric. My baby quilts are going to Ronald McDonald House. I do enjoy getting out my small collection and seeing how much I have learned and how far I have progressed. Thank you all, again. :):):)

Skittl1321 12-29-2012 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by pjtravis (Post 5748583)
What do you mean quilt by credit card???

Pay someone to finish the top into a quilt. They also do the basting.

peacebypiece 12-29-2012 06:21 PM

If you do decide that you might like to learn how to finish the quilt, start small with something like a Quilt for Kids kit. Contact them on line at Quilts for Kids and they will send you a precut kit. Then get a book at the library on how to "quilt" the top, batting, and backing together. Check at your nearest quilt shop. I'LL BET THEY CAN INTRODUCE YOU TO A NEW FRIEND WHO CAN TEACH YOU HOW TO FINISH A QUILT.
Please do not let your husbands's illness eat up your life. You can love him and care without shutting out the rest of the world. Let your friends help you through this difficult time and avoid depressing people.

Wanabee Quiltin 12-29-2012 06:35 PM

I agree with you 100% ! I love making the tops but the rest of the job is just plain tedious for me. My DH helped me get the backing and batting ready for several quilt tops and he even says it is a boring yucky job. I have finished several quilts on my DSM, but I would rather make tops all day long than finish them. The only good thing is that they look so pretty when finished. I have found an older woman who does the most lovely work on her Long Arm and doesn't charge much at all. I wonder if you would like doing the sandwich the way Eleanor Burns suggested and then tie the quilts. Not such a big job and then you can enjoy them. So sorry about your DH, I have been where you are now, just one day at a time works.

AndysC 12-29-2012 06:35 PM

So sorry about your husband's illness. I lost my fiance 2 years ago. My thoughts are with you in this difficult time.

All my best to you.

Belfrybat 12-29-2012 06:40 PM

Of course it is fine for you to do just tops. You might also want to ask around and see if you can find a longarmer who doesn't like to piece. You could piece a top for her in exchange for her quilting one of yours for you. That would be a win-win situation. Prayers ascending for your husbands full recovery.

conniemaried 12-29-2012 06:42 PM

I also only enjoy the piecing part. It gets my juices flowing. but can't bear the thought of doing the quilting. I know "can't" is supposedly a bad word, but I can't quilt. I have tried FMQ and hand quilting, and I'm hopeless at both. (and other quilters look at you funny when you reveal this deficiency to them) So I can empathize with you. I also had wondered if this was a serious deficiency meaning I had no talent. So I'm glad you posted this thread. Makes me feel better about myself. hope your hubby gets his treatment and recouperates quickly. Just keep on piecing.

barny 12-29-2012 06:49 PM

I don't see a thing wrong with just making tops. If it is comforting to you go for it. One day someone will ask you to help them make a top and you will have these tops to show them. In time you may want to quilt them. Do whatever you want to do. You need an outlet and this is it. I pray for your husband to be well and find peace and comfort watching you make tops.

memepat 12-29-2012 06:50 PM

Hi Tropical, enjoy what you do - don' beat yourself up for not enjoying sandwiching and quilting. It's you therapy!!!
Another solution my be to find someone you can barter with. You make a top for her she quilts for you. Keep making those tops. My grandma left several tops when she died. We so cherish those. Will keep your husband in our prayers.