Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ok, obviously I am NEW.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-obviously-i-am-new-t15377.html)

candi 01-13-2009 09:12 PM

What is a charm pack? A jelly roll? I keep hearing these terms around, and I see them on sale, and people get excited about them, and I am clueless :cry: Are they like cut ready for you to make quilts with? Do they come with patterns? Sorry for all these "basic" questions, butI really would like to know.
Ah, and while I am at it, the BOM thing seems great, but what do you do with these blocks, do you make more into a quilt or save them for something special? Sorry again, but my little brain can't figure it out.

Candi

Jim's Gem 01-13-2009 11:01 PM

A charm pack is a pack of Factory cut 5" squares usually of the line of one fabric, Moda puts out a lot of charm packs in their fabric lines. A jelly roll is the same type thing as a charm pack but in 2.5" strips. A lot of times, again, it will be a group of fabrics in the same line, or sometimes it could be a group of bali fabrics or one that a quilt shop put together. They are ready cut in those sizes and yes, there are lots of patterns out using those cuts of fabrics. Though, they are not pre-washed and if you are a prewasher, these may not work very well cause they can fray and shrink up smaller than what you want them to work with. Personally, I don't usually pre-wash cause I like the look from a little shrinking with the all cotton Batting I use.
As far as Block of the Month, you can make it into a quilt when you have completed all of the blocks or you can make pillows or if you find a block or two you really like you can then combine those into a quilt. It is a good way to learn how to make a lot of different blocks.

Don't worry about questions, we are were there at one time or another. I am still learning a lot of things about quilting and there are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

SulaBug 01-13-2009 11:27 PM

We love Questions!! :D Please don't ever hesitate to ask. Someone here will be able to answer them for you. Welcome to the quilting board.

retrogirl02 01-14-2009 06:44 AM

Those are great questions. Welcome aboard. We have swaps that Kyiav and I host for charm squares (individual squares that make up a unique charm pack and fat quarters...sometimes for strips as well known here as noodles). For the swaps, they are prewashed but in the stores they are not. As mentioned stores generally sell a group of fabrics from the same line for these although lately I've seen remnents cut into charms. If you're using charms, there are plenty of free patterns online and you can check the board for suggestions. I keep some ideas on the charm swap thread each month. Strips can also be used to cut down your time in creating a quilt and if you're trading them, you can get a scrappy look without having to buy a lot of different kinds of material. The FQ swap is helpful for stash building in addition.

I have not seen the charm pks, jelly rolls, or layer cakes at discount stores but quilt shops only. There are occasional fat quarter packs there, however. I have seen some online stores offer a free pattern with purchase of a pack or roll but they do not automatically come with patterns.

I haven't been able to do the BOM but do use some of the tutorials for new blocks. Basically, you can use them for whatever you like. You can do a small or large project, a sampler quilt, practice blocks to learn new techniques, or trade/donate them.

bj 01-14-2009 06:55 AM

Hi and welcome from Texas. Questions are great...keep them coming.

crashnquilt 01-14-2009 08:30 AM

The 5 inch squares used to be call NICKLE PATCHES and the 10 inch squares, now called layer cakes, used to be called DIME PATCHES. Due to my weight, I really wish food could be kept out of the name. hahaha

But just think, by the time you get done using charms, layer cakes, jelly rolls and the like you've quilted a whole bakery!

Barbm 01-14-2009 08:32 AM

...and hopefully haven't eaten any and lost weight. NOT! we quilters like our snacks........

candi 01-14-2009 08:41 AM

Thanks all for the great info.
These anames are making me hungry :lol:

Jim's Gem 01-14-2009 04:36 PM

Yea, the charms are sometimes called "nickels' and 10" squares are layer cakes or "dimes" and sometimes the Jelly Rolls are called "noodles" or "worms" or in the case of Bali's "Bali Pops". I've seen lots of patterns for them all!!

MsSage 01-14-2009 04:44 PM

Welcome and be prepard to stay hungry ....food rules the day around here LOL
Everyone one here is very helpful and does not mind answering ANY questions. We all started at the beginning. :D