Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-so-my-long-arm-has-pay-itself-why-doesnt-his-boat-t149310.html)

brushandthimble 09-01-2011 04:04 AM

love this topic,
DH doesn't say much as long as we can afford it. I have reminded him I use my "stash" more than his entire scuba outfit ever gets used.

H R Peoples 09-01-2011 04:08 AM

Since the long arm cost the same as the Gold Wing and inheritance money bought the long arm, until he rents out the motorcycle, no quilting for dollars.

janell2009 09-01-2011 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Grammy o'5
They can! and DON'T feel guilty about it! Life is short, enjoy your LA, earn money with it when you can - but don't stress over it! :thumbup:

AMEN! Not another thought.....

Debbie B 09-01-2011 04:26 AM

I'm right there with you girl!!!! I've got my eye on a Juki TL 98 Q with a Gracie II frame that's on Craigslist. (Just waiting for a certain check to come in & hoping it doesn't sell.) It's not a long arm by any means, but I was hoping that it will be the first step towards one and that I can learn on it. My husband seems to look at everything that I make & think that I can sell it. What's up with that? I guess I should take it as a compliment. What type of set up did you get?

charity-crafter 09-01-2011 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Selena
Yes, I did try to justify it. That's my point, why did I feel the need to? He said I could have it if I wanted it. I bought it used and paid cash. It didn't put us in a bind until he lost his job 2 weeks later which no one could have foreseen. I have wanted to quilt for over 30 years and was busy.... He can't help that he doesn't get it.

I think it comes back to women tend to put the family first, and feel guilty when we do something for ourselves. Maybe it's ingrained into our DNA. I don't know. I feel guilty when I splurge on myself, like I shouldn't spend money just for me. One part of me feels like, "hey, I work, it's my money too. I can spend some the way I want to." and the other side is saying "yes, but we have to save for an emergency, retirement, what if one of us loses our job? we have to prepared."

So many of us know people who have been unemployed for months if not years. I have a couple friends in their late 50's who have decided to call it early retirement because they just can't find a job.

So I find it hard to justify spending big chunks of money on something only I will enjoy. My goal in life is to get my dh interested in quilting/sewing. I bet he'd be good, he has an eye for color and design.

Selena 09-01-2011 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie B
I'm right there with you girl!!!! I've got my eye on a Juki TL 98 Q with a Gracie II frame that's on Craigslist. (Just waiting for a certain check to come in & hoping it doesn't sell.) It's not a long arm by any means, but I was hoping that it will be the first step towards one and that I can learn on it. My husband seems to look at everything that I make & think that I can sell it. What's up with that? I guess I should take it as a compliment. What type of set up did you get?

My answer is at the top of page 6

Selena 09-01-2011 04:32 AM

I did tell DH that if he wants my quilting to be the family business then he needs to learn to sew.

FERSID 09-01-2011 04:32 AM

Susan Margaret's got the right idea.

Hubby should hire out his boat so it can pay for itself too :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

charity-crafter 09-01-2011 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Selena
I did tell DH that if he wants my quilting to be the family business then he needs to learn to sew.

:thumbup: :lol: :thumbup: Love it! Great response.

Keep telling yourself that you are worth it, you deserve your long arm, don't try to justify it to yourself or anyone else.

"This if for me, I deserve it, it's paid for, didn't go into debt, there's still money in the bank" - over and over again until you really believe it.

{{{{{{{{Big hug}}}}}

ree-nee 09-01-2011 04:54 AM

We are wives they are just bigger BOYS with bigger toys.