Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Okay, here's another applique question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/okay-heres-another-applique-question-t33076.html)

Darlene 01-04-2010 04:29 AM

Fray Check is permanent and washable.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-04-2010 05:03 AM

they are stunning. I would try a smaller stich lenghth.

Jeannie 01-04-2010 10:44 AM

Precious! Does anyone know of a Dogs for All Seasons??

roselady 01-04-2010 05:17 PM

I have an old Bernina 910 that does not have a blanket stitch, is the blind hem stitch an acceptable alternative? I have always done either hand applique or fusible with a hand done blanket stitch

bstanbro 01-04-2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jeannie
Precious! Does anyone know of a Dogs for All Seasons??

I'm not aware of one. I bought this pattern at least a year ago, and I kind of remember seeing a dog one. I just tried doing a search and nothing came up, but I've seen lots of other dog patterns.

ledraj 01-05-2010 07:46 AM

Your cats are super cute. I have been quilting many, many years and I'm still not always comfortable that the stitches are secure.
I usually do one or two back stitchs.

JudeWill 01-05-2010 08:17 AM

Adorable! :thumbup: I, also, have a Bernina. It's a 730 and I haven't done any appliqué on it yet, but I'm wondering. It has a knotting stitch. Couldn't I use that at the beginning and end of the blanket stitch and not have to change stitches? Getting ready to do some appliqué, so I'm glad I found this thread. I've always been insecure about my seams coming out, so I've always tied them by hand. Since I got my new machine, I've made myself stop doing that. I know it shouldn't be necessary. :lol:

bstanbro 01-05-2010 08:37 AM

The method that was described above, using a straight stitch, is a better way to go than the knotting function. It looks much smoother. When I use the knotting function, I can easily see where I've started and stopped. When I use the straight stitch combined with the blanket stitch, it's smooth as can be, and a second person would be hard-pressed to find the beginning and ending. It's a much better way to go.

I'm not sure how your machine works. On my machine, I simply press one for the straight stitch, and then 45 for the blanket stitch. It's no more difficult that pressing the button for the knot at the beginning and end.

Prism99 01-05-2010 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by roselady
I have an old Bernina 910 that does not have a blanket stitch, is the blind hem stitch an acceptable alternative? I have always done either hand applique or fusible with a hand done blanket stitch

The blind hem stitch makes a beautiful machine blanket stitch. I'm pretty sure that's the one I use on my Bernina 1230. It makes about 3 straight stitches and then a "bite". I double my regular thread (just use 2 spools and thread together as if one thread) to make the black stitches stand out more.

dlf0122quilting 01-05-2010 08:57 AM

I love the tip, my Friendship group makes a quilt every year to be won by a member and it is always done by machine applique. This is a wonderful idea to pass along.