Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   old old quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-old-quilt-top-t31499.html)

vickster 12-13-2009 03:32 PM

I have a family heirloom. it is a wedding ring quilt top only. Ihave beentold so many different things i am confused. ops sent in error 1. dont finish it or make it larger it will decrease value. 2. just fold it up a put away do not use plastic bags to store ? use plastic bags put put moth balls in bag puh. help

amma 12-13-2009 03:45 PM

Many older/antique tops will lose their monetary value if you complete them. However that is your choice whether to complete it and use it, leave it as it is. :D:D:D
I would not store it in a plastic bag as it could draw moisture and mildew, nor would I put moth balls on the fabric. The moth balls could ruin/stain it.
Wrap it in acid free tissue, ball up the tissue so that it keeps the quilts fold lines from being sharp creases, and wrap it in the tissue. Do not lay it on bare wood, that can cause staining. Put it in a drawer, take it out and refold it every couple of months. You could put moth balls in the drawer if that is a concern.
I would love to see a picture of this treasure :D:D:D
Hint:don't hit preview when trying to download pictures :wink:

marsye 12-13-2009 04:42 PM

I would finish it and display it proudly!

Pam S 12-13-2009 05:36 PM

There are two schools of thought on the finish/don't finish question. Some people think that if you or someone else finishes the quilt, it diminishes the value because it's no longer a "pure" heirloom. Others feel that the top was originally intended to be used or displayed so it really needs to be finished to fulfill its purpose. Do what you feel is right for your particular quilt or family. If you think the quiltmaker would want you to finish her work so that it can be enjoyed as a finished product, by all means do so if you feel you or someone else can do it justice. If the quilt top is in a very fragile state, you may not want have it quilted but only preserved in its current state. Do what makes you happiest and don't worry about what someone else thinks is "right". We'd love to see pictures, too!

ljsunflower 12-13-2009 05:37 PM

Value doesn't matter unless you're planning on selling it. If you like it & plan to keep it, finish it.

kwhite 12-13-2009 07:32 PM

Finish it. It is worthless to you as it is.

vickster 12-18-2009 09:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
pictures all pieces are hand sewn together.

back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]60407[/ATTACH]

half of quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]60408[/ATTACH]

closeup
[ATTACH=CONFIG]60409[/ATTACH]

SharonC 12-18-2009 10:06 PM

Beautiful...seems a shame not to finish and use it/treasure it. :) IMHO

amma 12-18-2009 10:50 PM

Ooooo very very pretty!!!! :D:D:D
Would it have more value to you finished and being used? What would the family member who pieced it want?

Prism99 12-19-2009 01:59 PM

That looks like a 1930s quilt (bubblegum pink, etc.). Personally, I'd finish the top and use it.