Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Old patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-patterns-t250511.html)

meanmom 07-23-2014 05:47 AM

I go to the Dollar Store and use the drawing tablets that they sell. The cheaper the paper the better.

Ann S. 07-23-2014 06:17 AM

I go to our local newpaper office. They put end of roll unprinted newspaper rolls on the back loading dock for anyone to take for free. Have used for piecing, tablecloth covers and oversize patterns. Usually about 20-30 feet left on rolls and no worry with ink.

solstice3 07-23-2014 06:42 AM

That should work fine

maxnme01 07-23-2014 07:01 AM

Bet you could find those sandwich wraps at Smart and Final too.

Craftnut 07-23-2014 07:53 AM

Every year my post office has stacks of phone books no one wants, try there too. If it is something you don't mind spending a bit of money on, the Golden Threads paper comes on a roll and is ideal for tearing away.

jbj137 07-23-2014 09:17 AM

*** Old patterns sounds like a good Green way to go.
*** Usually on 25 cents.
*** Save a tree.

cashs_mom 07-23-2014 09:31 AM

I've used the cheap multipurpose paper from the office supply stores. Easy to use, works great. In the old days, they didn't have this (or much money) and so used old phone books. I think the cheap paper works just as well. You could probably even buy some cheap notebook paper or coloring books from the dollar store.

The advantage of using cheap paper is that you don't have to worry about the print rubbing off on your fabric.

kellen46 07-23-2014 09:42 AM

I get plain white tissue from the dollar tree. I can tear it to size or even a bit over size. You do not need to tear it out after stitching. I have made many string quilts this way. I go ahead and piece and then machine quilt the sandwich and when I wash it as the final step the paper just melts into the batting and you will never know it was even there. It is great for spider web string quilt block as I cut it into the triangle size I need and go for it.

Rodney 07-23-2014 10:09 AM

I just finished using cheap copy paper to sew a floral quilting pattern on the quilt I'm working on. I made line drawings of the leaves, vine and flowers, made copies, pinned the copies to the fabric and sewed thru the lines on the paper. I don't know if others have tried it or not. I'm not good enough to do a design like that freehand even though I kept it simple. IMO copy paper is too thick. I spent a lot of time with tweezers getting little bits of it out from under the stitches. It's also thick enough that the stitches seem a little loose once it's removed. I'm hoping it all tightens up when the quilt is done and I wash it before sending it out.

You may not have all the same issues I did if you're piecing but thinner would still be better.
Rodney

maviskw 07-23-2014 11:11 AM

I have always heard adding machine paper recommended. Last week, I was in Wausau and had to see what they had in "Again and Again" in downtown Wausau. There was a box with twenty-four or more rolls, three to a stack in the original wrap. Anyone in the Wausau area looking for adding machine paper might have a look.