Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Old Quilt Buying Tips Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-quilt-buying-tips-please-t173450.html)

MoanaWahine 12-28-2011 05:00 AM

Old Quilt Buying Tips Please

I know when it comes to buying a quilt, old or new, the first thing to think about is "Does it appealing to you". With that said, what else should a person look for?

I have come across a few old quilts, price has been good, I think anyway, and now I am wondering what should I be looking for in these old quilt or quilt tops for that matter. The few that I have come across have had either tears or have been very loved and showing their age. I am not sure what would be a great deal or not when looking at these. I have not purchased anything yet, but they are starting to peak my interest a little.

Any suggestions or tips in this area would be wonderful. Thanks.

wuv2quilt 12-28-2011 06:12 AM

My problem is "PASSING" on any quilt / hand made item. It always "hurts my heart" that someone put their love, time, and energy into _______, only for someone else to discard it. I have odd handmade, doilies, place-mats, wall hangings, quilt blocks, and yes, even a few quilts....some are sooooo.......dare I say, U-G-L-Y....but I LOVE them. I have a few on beds, they may be ugly, but they sure are warm.

I found about 15 quilt blocks at the Good Will store....hand sewn, and real vintage feed-sack, and $1.10 per pound. Still debating on how to set them. As to price, pay what you're comfortable with....and only YOU can decide if YOU want to invest your time, money, and energy restoring what you find. I don't know if this will help you, but I'm right there with you.

Holice 12-28-2011 06:32 AM

It depends on why you are buying/collecting the old quilts. Are you buying: to use on the bed; display for decoration; historical interest in fabrics or patterns and or (The Sky might fall on me with this one) - to cut up and make new items from them. I don't believe that every old quilt needs to be preserved and saved and they have uses beyond the original purpose.
So decide how you plan to use the quilt and then decide on what you will collect and the price you are willing to pay for them.

luvstoquilt 12-28-2011 07:01 AM

I just buy ones that speak to me. I try to take good care and fix what needs to be repaired if I can. I bought one that was filthy and not totally finished...I finished quilting it and laundered it very carefully...it is a real favorite of mine. I think of the work that someone did and I sort of "bond" with her while I work on her quilt. I buy what I feel I can comfortably afford and what it is worth to me.

ptquilts 12-28-2011 07:08 AM

DH and I used to buy and sell antique quilts and tops. I would say, as far as repairs, --open seams and the occasional worn piece can be fixed, but a general ALL-OVER worn out condition will just be frustrating to try and fix. Also on real old quilts, pay attention to any black pieces, the dye used deteriorates the fabric.