Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   old quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-quilt-t27697.html)

Auntiepatch 10-26-2009 08:08 AM

I have an antique velvet crazy quilt top circa 1880's. It has been in a hope chest for the last 60 years. It has not been backed; is it too late? I would like to "finish" it but I'm a little afraid to handle it.

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 10-26-2009 09:04 AM

Wow, I'm not sure. Are the fabrics delicate? Do the stitches seem delicate?
I'm by no means an expert in this, but I would think the original quilter meant for it to be finished one way or another. I would definately put a backing on it and maybe hand quilt it, if you're really worried about putting the fabric through a machine to quilt it. Or else, maybe you could tie the quilt instead of quilting it, but from the back of the quilt, that way you don't have little bits of yarn or floss distracting from the work on the front of the quilt.
Can you show us a picture? I'm sure other people will come along with more ideas or suggestions for you :)

Auntiepatch 10-26-2009 09:27 AM

Congrats on your baby! Is this your first?

Thanks for getting back to me on the quilt. It was made by the Mary in the "Mary Had A Little Lamb" poem or so I've been told. I will try to get a good picture to post. The work is just wonderful. She spent a lot of time on it but didn't finish it. Too bad.

Darlene loves Chocolates 10-26-2009 09:54 AM

PLEASE POST THE PIC AS SOON AS POSSIBLE....

i love crazy quilts. thank you so much in advance

Originally Posted by Auntiepatch
I have an antique velvet crazy quilt top circa 1880's. It has been in a hope chest for the last 60 years. It has not been backed; is it too late? I would like to "finish" it but I'm a little afraid to handle it.

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 10-26-2009 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Auntiepatch
Congrats on your baby! Is this your first?

Thanks for getting back to me on the quilt. It was made by the Mary in the "Mary Had A Little Lamb" poem or so I've been told. I will try to get a good picture to post. The work is just wonderful. She spent a lot of time on it but didn't finish it. Too bad.

This is our first :) thanks!

nativetexan 10-26-2009 11:52 AM

you could put the backing on like "birthing a quilt" style. lay it on top and sew around, leaving an opening to turn the quilt. then turn right side out and stitch the opening closed. then perhaps you could "tack" the quilt down in corners. that way you wont' ruin any of the blocks since it's so old. good luck. :)

Maride 10-26-2009 11:58 AM

Most curators would recommend to leave it as is.

I think the idea of NativeTexan to back it without quilting it will provide more protection to the exposed seams in the back.

Picture, please.

Maria

pjinflorida 10-26-2009 01:28 PM

Baren*eh*ked_canadian congrads on your pregnancy.

Auntiepatch 10-26-2009 02:52 PM

Thanks - I'm thinking I might take it to a professional -

Auntiepatch 10-26-2009 02:53 PM

It's such a shame that it's just sitting in a cedar chest.....