Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   old quilt world mags (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-quilt-world-mags-t36070.html)

Ditter43 02-05-2010 09:12 AM

I just bought a box of quilt world mags that date from the late seventies to the early ninties! Many years are complete. My mind is boggled after looking through them all for the first time!!! So many patterns...so little time!!

Ditter

littlehud 02-05-2010 09:15 AM

Do you see a lot of difference between the patterns in the 70s and the 90s?

Ditter43 02-05-2010 09:18 AM

Littlehud
There are many of the same patterns. The ads are funny....old dress patterns and crochet patterns. I think machine quilting was just coming into its own.
The big difference is the quality of the magazines. Much better today!!

Ditter

Prism99 02-05-2010 09:58 AM

The biggest difference I have seen between older magazines and newer ones is the fabric chosen for the quilts! Plus, for me at least, there seems to be a lot more substance in the older magazines. The newer ones seem to be overtaken with ads and the pushing of fabric lines; many fewer in-depth articles on technique.

dakotamaid 02-05-2010 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
The biggest difference I have seen between older magazines and newer ones is the fabric chosen for the quilts! Plus, for me at least, there seems to be a lot more substance in the older magazines. The newer ones seem to be overtaken with ads and the pushing of fabric lines; many fewer in-depth articles on technique.

I agree! During super bowl 2009 my SIL and MIL and I went thru lots of old magazines to sort and we had a ball!

Today seems to be all about fabric lines and while they are beautiful and great for the design challenged I like to make my own ideas come to life.

Ditter43 02-06-2010 06:48 AM

The biggest problem I saw with the old quilt world mags: They would show a pattern but give no instructions as to piecing. Some of the patterns were hard enough to NEED instructions for most of us! I also appreciate the color photos in the new mags!

Ditter

Rainbow 02-06-2010 09:07 AM

SO TRUE...but I love to just look at them !!!!

RedGarnet222 02-06-2010 10:46 AM

Did you notice that a lot of the patterns were made with templets? I have many that I got rid of because I am so spoiled making quilts with a rotorary cutter and with all the new ways of making a block and available rulers.

Boston1954 02-06-2010 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99

It seems to me that all of the magazines are going this way. If they dumped all the ads, it would not be a magazine but a pamphlet.....

nursie76 02-06-2010 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
Did you notice that a lot of the patterns were made with templets? I have many that I got rid of because I am so spoiled making quilts with a rotorary cutter and with all the new ways of making a block and available rulers.

I agree. I just got rid of (recycled) a bunch of old quilt mags, because I really hate to work with templates. I might if the quilt were something I just couldn't live without, but haven't found any like that yet :D I too, found that the instructions were a little sketchy.