Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Old quilting magazines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-quilting-magazines-t277819.html)

Roberta 04-18-2016 05:17 AM

I have tied up issues of the same mag that I know I'll not longer have time to do and taken them to our local library. One of the libraries has a 10 cent table that you can just put them on and our town library has a sale each year and love to get an entire years issue of one magazine because people will pay more for them.

Mariah 04-18-2016 05:51 AM

Just recently, I realized there are some really neat patterns you can send for and make later. I save articles that I think might help me in the future.
We also old magazines at the quilt show.
Mariah

dc989 04-18-2016 06:53 AM

In our quilt guild we put together one year sets of various quilt, crochet, knit magazines and sold them. We wrapped a cute ribbon around them and made sure they were complete and unmarked and clean. They sold in the boutique very quickly for $5 to $10 per set.

2manyhobbies 04-18-2016 09:26 AM

We lay them on our 'free' table at our guild, but our library also has a rack where people can drop of magazines that
others may take for free. When I put quilt magazine and Backpacker Magazine on the rack, they are snapped up incredibly fast.

MargeD 04-18-2016 10:44 AM

I pass my old quilting magazines to a girl friend, she then takes out the pages with patterns she would like to make and puts them in a plastic jacket and then in a 3-ring binder. She will often use some of the magazines in her Kindergarten class.

Jingle 04-18-2016 11:23 AM

I have some, will just keep them and let heirs decide what to do with them. They are neatly stored in a cabinet in sewing room.

fangman 04-18-2016 01:56 PM

How about a Senior Centers and Nursing Homes.

madamekelly 04-18-2016 06:06 PM

I just donated mine to a local group here called "Friends of the Library". Any of them that the library does not want to keep, will be put in the once a month garage type sale, that raises funds to buy new books for the library. (They sell them for $.50- $1.00) I have warned some local quilters that the next sale will have over a hundred quilt magazines complete with pattern inserts. No muss no fuss, and no more piles of them that I can't just throw away. I recommend it if you can. (I decided to donate them in the name of my BFF so she gets the tax credit.)

BettyGee 04-19-2016 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119 (Post 7526079)
I had years of old magazines. i removed the pattern I wanted and gave the rest to my daughter and my quilting buddy. They looked thru them and also took what they wanted and then recycled them. You can't keep everything.

How come? I have been collecting for thirty years and can't bring myself to part with the things.

tessagin 04-19-2016 07:22 AM

I don't have many; about 9-10. They have templates in them and patterns but also some great stories. Mine really aren't that old. I narrowed it down quite a bit. I usually offer to my neighbor and niece. They have friends who are interested so they get passed through friends.