Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   old Singer machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-singer-machine-t59855.html)

grann of 6 08-18-2010 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Here is a pic of my Singer I am getting a new motor for. I learned to sew on it. Several years ago I cleaned it all up and restored the cabinet back to its original look. It had cigarette burns all over it.

Wow! You did a wonderful job on the cabinet....it's beautiful!

Thank you! Unfortunately, a couple weeks ago I over watered a plant sitting on it and messed up the top again. I just got an e-mail saying my new motor and foot pedal have been shipped priority mail. I can hardly wait to get it up and running!

teacherbailey 08-19-2010 02:20 AM

The ONLY machine I sew with is a 1941 cast iron Singer. I own 4 other machines, bought with the hopes that I could do more than straight stitch with them but since I just don't have that mechanical "fix it gene"---or the patience to experiment til I get it right----I use the old machine since it is 100% reliable as long as I remember which way to load the bobbin...note to self: the thread comes over the bobbin TOWARDS me! Have made lots and lots of quilts with it and its only problem is that a couple of years ago, it got balky on making bobbins since the little notch thingie that holds the bobbin on wore down too far.... so I bought a bobbin making machine. Also replaces motor and foot pedal a few years back. Plan on using this one til I die----which I'm sure will be before this one gives out!

krob 08-19-2010 05:01 AM

I LOVE my Featherweights!!! I also have a nice, expensive Bernina. When I travel or go to classes, I take my Featherweight--such a beautiful straight stitch. She is more controllable---if you want some good reading materil about old Singers, visit April's 1930s website. Enjoy your machine!

greaterexp 08-19-2010 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Suzan Larrimore
It might sound silly but I like the vintage machines because of the sense of continuity I feel when I use them. Like I'm part of a long line of (mostly)woman using them. My mother and grand mothers have all passed and I feel closer to them when I use these old beauties. Like a part of the whole. It feels like a tribute to the women that have gone before. It sounds kind of sappy when I read it, but there you have it.

I feel the same way. I could have wet my pants when I picked up a 1924 Singer treadle last week for $40! (Of course, I can always wet my pants at my age.) I have ordered a new belt for it and can't wait to try it out. I can picture my grandmother using something like it. Sweet!

sewmom 08-19-2010 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by KatFish
I LOVE my old vintage Singers. I hate the newer ones they make today with all plastic gears. I have a Feather weight, Singer 99, 223, 301, 401, 500, and 774 and I love them all. I also have a "Pink" atlas sewing machine and a green Montgomery Ward sewing machine that I got at an auction for a song. They sew the straightest seams, and are still very easy to find parts for. I can do most of the maintence myself, so I don't have to take tem in for repairs so much. Pull out that old machine and use it. You'll love it.

Katfish, i have my Mom's Pink Atlas. unfortunately it's been in the basement forever and i don't know if it even works. But this thread has inspired me to get it out of the basement, into the daylight and see if it works. all the neat little attachments are there too. i also have a treadle that was my great aunts that needs a new belt. maybe i'll get that working too. as soonas i can get my room cleaned enough to get near it! LOL

SNUGQUILT 08-19-2010 09:30 AM

I have a featherweight (actually more than 1), but 1 I use most. I have a love affair with it. It is just the best little machine. Sews like a dream in a perfect straight line EVERYTIME. I have an expensive Bernina that I love too, but nothing beats the featherweight! I also have several treadles (on display - some), and another featherweight...also gave daughter a featherweight for Christmas a couple of years ago...she cried! :) I pretty much just LOVE all things quilty related, including older sewing machines....

BZ quilting 08-19-2010 10:14 AM

I have several old machines, use and love my featherweight the most, but just love the perfect straight stitch those old machines give you.

Central Ohio Quilter 08-19-2010 10:47 AM

It has been wonderful reading about all of your old sewing machines. I am so glad that the old machines are used, loved and appreciated here! I love old sewing machines and have several myself.

In fact the newest machine I have is now 41 years old. I love it and I use it all the time!

I do have a story to share about my machine though. Two years ago I was in a nice quilt shop in Ohio, and I paused my fabric browsing to watch an employee demonstrate to someone else a beautiful new machine with all of the bells and whistles on it. As she finished talking to the one person she asked me if I was interested in trying out the machine. I told her – no thanks. I was happy with my machine that I have. She asked me what kind of machine I used and I (rather proudly) told her that I still use the Singer that my parents bought me for high school graduation 38 years ago. She got a SHOCKED look on her face and yelled (yes – YELLED!) across the store at another employee – “She is still using a sewing machine she got in high school!!!!! She then turned to me and in a condescending tone said – “You simply MUST get a NEW machine!!! I just can’t imagine that you are still using a machine THAT old!”

I suppose she was trying to embarrass me into getting a new sewing machine, but I thought at the time that, even if I was in the market for buying a new sewing machine, that woman would have been the LAST person I would have bought one from. She was rude, rude, rude!!!!!

Pattiannie 08-19-2010 11:12 AM

Hey quilterguy27.... I'd love to have a link to Billy's tutorial service info for Singer Featherweights...It'd sure save me some money taking or shipping it to SE Missouri to have it serviced. Would you be willing to share the info for others again?

KellyPA 08-19-2010 11:21 AM

All of my machines are older, the newest one is from 1977. I use all my machines, even the one from 1910. I find the older machines are work horses and hold up much better.