Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Old Thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-thread-t207396.html)

Valerie Ann 12-01-2012 08:58 AM

Old Thread?

I have an opportunity to buy some thread at a really good price. I figured I would stock up. However, sometimes I hear people saying that thread gets old and looses it properties. Is that true or an "old wives tale?" Advise.

Holice 12-01-2012 09:05 AM

Depends on how old it is. However, I use old thread all the time. As long as it is still strong and doesn't break easily then I believe it is ok to use it. Some however,will tell you to toss out any thread x years old. I have quilts made before the 20th century with cotton thread that is still strong. Some will also tell you the poly thread will cut the fabric. I've never seen this happen. I buy and use older thread all the time and find it both inespensive, economical and worthy of use. Test it and if it is strong.....buy buy buy it.

I get thread from the thrift shop and flea markets all the time and if a shop is going out of business and they have the older Coats and Clark thread - I buy all they have.

You will get many opinions about this question. Do your own testing and make the decision.

luvstoquilt 12-01-2012 09:20 AM

I use it all the time, too! If it is sort of weak I use it to baste...I have never had a problem at all.

RedGarnet222 12-01-2012 09:23 AM

Connecting threads has great cotton thread at a very reasonable price. I would check it out if I were you.

BellaBoo 12-01-2012 09:49 AM

Break a piece of the older thread and then a piece of newer thread of the same weight and content. If it has the same strength or better then no problem.

ckcowl 12-01-2012 09:53 AM

age is not as much an issue as how it's been stored- i've bought expensive (new) thread- from shows/lqs that wound up being (garbage) and i've used thread from my grandmother's sewing box (probably 30-40 years old) that was fine.

if it's been in storage for a long time it may not be a good thread...it's hard to tell without doing a 'tug test' on it to see how easily it breaks- can you ask...how it's been stored-where it's been?

sewingsuz 12-01-2012 10:32 AM

I use old thread all the time and it seems OK. After reading this thread I will check it's strength the next time. I have had no problems. I have collected it from thrift stores and garage sales. I have a large variety of colors and have them in small baskets by colors that are simalar. Then I put the smaller baskets in a large basket and stack the baskets on top of each other. I cover the large basket with a cloth so the dust stays out.

DeneK 12-01-2012 12:57 PM

I have a large assortment that I have acquired from thrift stores, yard sales, auctions... I just used some from a spool last week that had a price of $0.30 on it. So will let you figure out how old. LOL! I just do the strength test. If it isn't weak and easy to break, I use it. The only thread I have bought in years is my basic neutral color that I use for all my piecing.

quilttiger 12-01-2012 01:13 PM

I have used threads of all ages. The oldest I have used were mostly Coats & Clark cotton from my husband's mother and aunt. I have had no problems.