Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Old topic new question (I think) Dresden Plate (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-topic-new-question-i-think-dresden-plate-t74298.html)

lylamarie 11-04-2010 03:50 PM

I would like to know how to make a dresden plate (rounded top) that uses interfacing on the back of the top of the wedge. I read somewhere about it but can't find it now. I am not sure if it is interfacing or steam a seam or something. I am at a loss. must be a senior's moment that is lasting tooo long. Hope someone can help me. lylamarie

bj 11-04-2010 04:04 PM

If you are doing the rounded, rather than pointed, I don't see why you couldn't use a light interfacing. Just sew the interfacing to the right side of the fabric, leaving the bottom open, turn, press, and then stitch to adjoining piece. The interfacing would probably help you keep the curve even and smooth for stitching it down by hand or machine. I've not done a dresden block, but it seems like it would work ok.

Honey 11-04-2010 04:05 PM

Elanor Burns has a video that you can watch. Google "Quilt In a Day". Maybe that will help you.

amma 11-04-2010 04:23 PM

If using regular interfacing (not fusible) when you get the blade turned right side out, give it a shot of steam without touching it with the iron. It will ever so slightly shrink the interfacing, pulling the fabric slightly towards the back.
Sometimes it will turn the fabric under enough that the interfacing won't show at all on the sides of the blade :D:D:D

bgullett 11-04-2010 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by amma
If using regular interfacing (not fusible) when you get the blade turned right side out, give it a shot of steam without touching it with the iron. It will ever so slightly shrink the interfacing, pulling the fabric slightly towards the back.
Sometimes it will turn the fabric under enough that the interfacing won't show at all on the sides of the blade :D:D:D

I am on a Dresden Plate kick and I am intrigued by your post. Interfacing confuses me, what is regular interfacing please. Should I cut the interfacing with the blades and shrink them before sewing? I need more direction on this one please.

judylg 11-04-2010 05:04 PM

I thought I read you could use 'used bounce fabric softner sheets' as the interfacing. Now I wonder if I dreamt it up.

lylamarie 11-04-2010 08:47 PM

Thanks all, you have done it again. What a board! This is my evening ritual. I could spend hours here. Hey I do!!!

sharon b 11-04-2010 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by judylg
I thought I read you could use 'used bounce fabric softner sheets' as the interfacing. Now I wonder if I dreamt it up.

Nope I have heard that also- just make sure you have used them in the dyer first to get the chemicals out :thumbup:

I am wondering how everyone makes them with the rounded top ? do you use a regular ruler or just a template ?

Qbee 11-05-2010 01:42 AM

So funny.....Craftybear and I have been looking for a rounded template too. There are many ways to do it but I'm trying to figure out the easiest way too. :D