Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Older Quilts--Quilting and Backing options? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/older-quilts-quilting-backing-options-t254687.html)

Appa Valley 10-02-2014 07:25 PM

Older Quilts--Quilting and Backing options?

3 Attachment(s)
Hey all,

A family member asked if I could finish some older quilts for them (seven in all). I won't be able to start on them until after the new year but thought ya'll might have some opinions on how to quilt a couple of these and what color backings I could use just to give me some ideas until then. Hope ya'll don't mind me using you.:o Also wanted to say that I will most likely hand quilt them or tie the ones that would look ok tied. I haven't got to iron them yet, sorry bout that.

Here we go:
The first one is 87"L by 72" wide. Hand-pieced, no border.
Second is 89" Length by 73 " wide. Hand pieced, no border.
Third is 84" Length by 75" wide. Hand pieced, no border.

Cybrarian 10-02-2014 07:46 PM

I'm assuming you want to maintain the look and style of the quilt tops? If so, muslin would work on any of the 3 for backing, especially the appliquéd cats one. While I appreciate the charm of tied quilts I've only done one, but if it were me I would definitely use red on the Sunbonnet Sue quilt, at each cornerstone and incorporate it into the bonnet tie area on the Sb Sue figures. I'm sure others will have wonderful ideas for you. It's great of you to complete these. Are they a part of your family heritage? If so, don't forget a label with your family's information. Can't wait to see how you finish them!

PenniF 10-02-2014 09:06 PM

First...i have said before that i am not a Sunbonnet Sue fan...but that quilt with the one "odd" Sue is just too precious. I really like it.
I can only say that if it were me - and i'm not sure the size of your appliqued squares - i would use a batting that allows you to quilt up to 10" apart. That way, you could SITD around each block and in the corner blocks - not a lot of quilting, but more than tying. And i'd definitely use muslin for the backing.
Someone put a lot of work into these quilt tops....it's great that they are finally going to be finished. Good luck...don't forget to post as you finish them - i'll look forward to seeing what you decide.

Silver Needle 10-02-2014 09:57 PM

Quilters Dream makes a cotton batting specifically for hand quilting. It's called Request. Go to this link to read about it. There are several places online that carry it. If you can't get it online PM me and I can order from the company and ship it to you. http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/dream-cotton.htm. You could echo quilt around the appliqué then do a design in the sashings and cornerstones.

earthwalker 10-02-2014 11:25 PM

I like the idea of echo quilting the applique and then doing a design in each of the cornerstones and then something twining/curved in the sashing areas. I do like tied quilts, but these would just work beautifully if quilted. I think they are just gorgeous and quilted would really 'shine'. As for backing....I'm hopeless at that...go with your heart is the only useful thing I have to offer.

QuiltnNan 10-03-2014 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF (Post 6913317)
...I can only say that if it were me - and i'm not sure the size of your appliqued squares - i would use a batting that allows you to quilt up to 10" apart. That way, you could SITD around each block and in the corner blocks - not a lot of quilting, but more than tying. And i'd definitely use muslin for the backing.
Someone put a lot of work into these quilt tops....it's great that they are finally going to be finished. Good luck...don't forget to post as you finish them - i'll look forward to seeing what you decide.

this was my first thought on it also. they are treasures. anxious to see the others

bjchad 10-03-2014 03:37 AM

Chalk up another vote for muslin backing a and Echo quilting. What a wonderful set of quilts!

ManiacQuilter2 10-03-2014 03:48 AM

Are you going to machine quilt them or hand quilt?? Muslin is always a preference with when you hand quilt because the stitching will show up beautifully.

Appa Valley 10-03-2014 03:55 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all your ideas! Does anyone have experience with the muslins from fat quarter shop? I need to keep cost down as much as I can, but I also don't want to use something cheaply made for these quilts. Do you think the Hobbs 80/20 would be fine to use as the batting?

Here are the last of the quilts. The red and blue quilt is the only one with a border, it is a pink color.

Appa Valley 10-03-2014 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6913459)
Are you going to machine quilt them or hand quilt?? Muslin is always a preference with when you hand quilt because the stitching will show up beautifully.

I will be hand quilting them.