Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Olefin in Pellon Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/olefin-pellon-batting-t313193.html)

Still Sew N 11-21-2020 03:47 PM

Olefin in Pellon Batting

I ordered 100% Cotton Pellon batting from Wal Mart online. I received 90% cotton and 10% olefin. I asked for an exchange and received the same batting. I have looked on Wal Mart's website and there is no such batting with that combination being offered. I have also gone to Pellon's website and same thing, they also do not list this combination. I have called Pellon, left a message and sent an email for an explanation. The label on the bolt says "with scrim" and I wonder if the "scrim" is the 10% olefin. So now I'm asking you experts here on the Quilting Board. Does anyone know about this combination? Have you had any experience with this type batting? Kind of curious and know you folks have all the answers!!

Stitchnripper 11-21-2020 04:00 PM

I use that batting all the time. I guess I am not that observant. I assumed it was the scrim. I like it. For me it behaves like warm and natural. I don’t have any sensitivities or allergies. I also bought it by the roll from Walmart. I’m on my second roll.

dunster 11-21-2020 04:11 PM

It's common for a cotton batting to have scrim made of a hydrocarbon, but I'm surprised that it would be as high as 10%. It agree that it's confusing for it to be listed as 100% cotton, but I guess they get away with that because they are considering the product as batting (100% cotton) plus scrim.

Warm & Natural also contains a non-cotton scrim. If you truly need 100% cotton, you could use Warm 100 (has a cotton scrim) or Warm & Plush (no scrim, thicker cotton), or most other cotton batts that do not have scrim. There are also some batts designed for use in the microwave that don't have any poly content.

Iceblossom 11-22-2020 09:14 AM

On a slightly different slant, I have found many clothing items to be listed as 100% cotton even if they are not -- especially to watch for is elastic or ribbing or any sort of stretch anywhere. Of course, knits and ribbing can be 100% cotton...

Fortunately I'm not that sensitive to things but I know people who are very particular about the textiles they come in contact with.

Stitches23 11-22-2020 10:08 AM

I have used this batting many times and like it - 90% cotton/10% olefin. I was told that the scrim was to help with the cotton shrinkage. IDK but maybe.

Still Sew N 11-23-2020 05:52 AM

Once again, great responses. Thank you. I'm not sure if I will hear from Pellon, but I will go ahead and use this batting because of all your input. Thanks again!

juliasb 11-24-2020 08:35 AM

I too would assume it is scrim. With some batting I have been able to remove the scrim as it was only adhered to one side. That is not the case with all batting. I try to stay with W&N where I get the option when I ask for it.