Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Olfa 45 mm Rotary Cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/olfa-45-mm-rotary-cutter-t264366.html)

Kitty10628 04-23-2015 06:24 AM

Olfa 45 mm Rotary Cutter

I let a new quilter use my rotary cutter. She pushed down very hard when she cut her fabric.

Now my rotary cutter skips cutting small pieces of fabric. I have changed the blade twice.

Could the black plastic part have become damaged in some way? It does look a little "off." It wiggles a little bit.

Have you experienced this? Either way, its driving me crazy so I am buying a new one.

mike'sgirl 04-23-2015 06:28 AM

You might have to get a new one, if it's not working properly. She must have been pretty heavy handed to have gotten it out of whack like that.

imsewnso 04-23-2015 06:54 AM

If your blade is wiggling then take the screw off and turn the washer over, the washer may not be on correctly.

lynnie 04-23-2015 07:01 AM

I'd check the screw. or start all over and re put it on. I had to do that once. maybe she hit your ruler in that on spot. are you sure she didn't drop it. My cat dropped mine right after I put a new blade in it and it skipped a lot. didn't even get to use it b4 it went wonky. She might have taken a nick out of the rotary cutter on the ruler.

Tartan 04-23-2015 08:07 AM

If you have changed the blade then the handle hub must be damaged. Take it apart and look to see if the hub is still round. She might have pressed had enough to cause a divet or flatten one side of the hub. If that is the case then you will have to buy a new one, bummer!

tessagin 04-23-2015 08:18 AM

When DH wanted to use my rotary cutter the first time I told him not to use it like a pizza cutter. He wasn't cutting into a pizza, he was cutting into fabric. I have a spare I let others use.

PaperPrincess 04-23-2015 09:39 AM

I had one (can't remember the brand) but I pushed down too hard and distorted the plastic that holds the blade on. It was not repairable.

Jan in VA 04-23-2015 11:58 AM

When you changed the blade, did you inadvertently apply 2 blades?

ManiacQuilter2 04-23-2015 12:06 PM

I vary seldom let any newbie use my rotary cutter. I usually demo for them and let them cut at their home. Just don't want for anybody to be injured in my home with my rotary cutter. Jan is right. I have accidentally placed two blades in by mistake.

Onebyone 04-23-2015 01:12 PM

Beginner quilters have to have their own rotary cutter at our guild. Rulers and mats will be provided. We learned the hard way about lending rotary cutters. One beginner wanted to sue the person who loaned her one and she got nasty cut. Said she wasn't instructed in how to use it properly and wasn't told the dangers of using it. She was pressured to sue by her DH. Thankfully she backed off because of high lawyer and court fees. She is not a member and we hope to never see her again. I will never loan a rotary cutter to any one that has never used one.