Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   olfa cutter ???-don-isewman (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/olfa-cutter-don-isewman-t256214.html)

joe'smom 11-02-2014 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by carrieg (Post 6953805)
I thought the washer went the other way - with the wings reaching towards the sky.

Yes, I believe that's correct. The video person says they should point upwards.

Bree123 11-02-2014 10:23 PM

It does loosen up a bit with use (same as the screws on sewing machine that need to be tightened once every hour or two of sewing). You might also try playing around a bit with the bent washer -- making it slightly more curved or slightly less curved. Finally, I find that it goes askew more quickly when I'm using a dull blade so you might try swapping in a new blade and see if that helps.

sap 11-02-2014 10:51 PM

take your cutter to the hardware store and ask for a "lock washer". then use that to keep the nut tight.

justflyingin 11-03-2014 12:53 AM

I have the same issue. My Olfa's screw wouldn't stay tight. My DH looked at it and said that it looks like it is worn out. Shouldn't be surprised, huh? The funny shaped washer broke, too. I was wondering if something else would work. I hate to just throw it out! :(

justflyingin 11-03-2014 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by franc36 (Post 6954056)
I've noticed the nut on my Olfa cutter loosening a little lately. I just stop and tighten it. I hope my cutter is not wearing out; but it well could be as I use it daily. I watched the video and I am putting the cutter together correctly after changing a blade.

I think mine finally did wear out. I'm sad too, so I bought another Olfa :) (and a Fiskars) when I was in the states.

redneckwoman 11-03-2014 03:18 AM

I found out if I push down to hard on my cutter when cutting the nut will loosen up

winia 11-03-2014 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by isewman (Post 6953257)
I have a ??, and any suggestions, as to what to do. Does any 1 have a problem with the nut--that holds the blade on your cutter. I'm have a little bit of a problem with the nut loosening up a little. when I cut fabric. Is the cutter/nut wearing out. Is there anyway to keep the nut tight, and any products out there to put on the nut to help keep the nut tight. Don-isewman

I have had the same problem. I think it's time for a new cutter. Mine was at least five or six years old and just wore out.

VernaL 11-04-2014 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin (Post 6954307)
I have the same issue. My Olfa's screw wouldn't stay tight. My DH looked at it and said that it looks like it is worn out. Shouldn't be surprised, huh? The funny shaped washer broke, too. I was wondering if something else would work. I hate to just throw it out! :(

I lost the little washer and I emailed Olfa to see if they would sell me another. They immediately mailed me another washer for free. That was several years ago and I am still using the same cutter. It works great. If you are having trouble, you might contact them.

wishfulthinking 11-04-2014 03:46 AM

I had the same experience as VernaL only my washer didn't wear out. When I was changing the blade the washer rolled off the table and bounced down the air conditioner floor vent, never to be seen again! Contacted Olfa and they sent me new spare parts. Very good customer service!

Grannyh67 11-04-2014 04:51 AM

@ Boston 1954, I have a Fiskars that does that too, it has always done it, I should have taken it back as soon as I realized this was happening. If I don't watch it closely it will fall apart.