Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OMG... MAMA found another box in her Shed Today (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/omg-mama-found-another-box-her-shed-today-t111208.html)

texpat45 03-27-2011 06:37 PM

Congratulations on your find! I moved 7 months ago and haven't found my 2 24" rulers, an Olfa cutter and a quilt for my youngest DGS that was ready for quilting! Beats the heck out me where those things got to or HOW they've disappeared! They were with all my sewing stuff when I packed!

grugirl 03-27-2011 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
wow..how was it stored...be sure to test for dry rot...and check for moldy smells before bringing it into the house...

a whole new stash if it is still good!

Not moldy, not stinky, I stored EVERYTHING in a DRY environment with a small heater going in winter, in a sealed shed, in a UHAUL box with a black heavy duty garbage bag surrounding all the fabric. I packed everything in a bag and then in the box. I have only found one thing out of thousands ever tarnished slightly by packing this way. How would I test for dry rot?

jaciqltznok 03-27-2011 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by grugirl

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
wow..how was it stored...be sure to test for dry rot...and check for moldy smells before bringing it into the house...

a whole new stash if it is still good!

Not moldy, not stinky, I stored EVERYTHING in a DRY environment with a small heater going in winter, in a sealed shed, in a UHAUL box with a black heavy duty garbage bag surrounding all the fabric. I packed everything in a bag and then in the box. I have only found one thing out of thousands ever tarnished slightly by packing this way. How would I test for dry rot?

if it rips OFF grain, and makes dust it is dry rotted...I have only seen this happen to really old fabric stored in a shed...

sounds like you are in luck...and up to your ears in NEW stash...just in time too with prices going like they are!

cjaye44 03-28-2011 03:58 AM

I've been in your shoes :lol: . It's like Xmas all over again when you come across them. Or a free shopping trip to the fabric store! After my last move here 3 years ago, I came across a box of fabric that came from my mother's house...and she passed away in 1985!!!. I have a serious fabric problem :lol: :lol:

jeanneb52 03-28-2011 03:59 AM

Merry Christmas! I love it when I find something I thought was gone.

clynns 03-28-2011 04:07 AM

Ohhhh, I think that stack of browns is mine. I know I've bought one's just like it. It has to be mine. Oh well, guess I'll have to keep searching. LOL Lucky lady!

Beth Dishong 03-28-2011 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Summer Spice
Good for you! I know just how it is when you move and you know you had something but can't find it....

We moved in the fall and still have many boxes stored in the garage that I can't go through until it warms up. "Come on Warmer Weather".

ThreadHead 03-28-2011 04:43 AM

OMG, how great ! It's just like Christmas to us quilters. lol

I sorta did the same thing last night. I have 5 quilt tops that I need to finish, so I picked out one of them and went looking in my stash to find a backing. I came across some pink material that matched, so I pulled it out and stood there looking at it. Where did this come from? I don't remember buying this. Oh, must be some material that I got in the garage sale boxes. I then pulled another piece out, and the same thing. I don't even remember where they came from. lol I ended up going through most of it and found enough to do 3 of the quilts.
Syl

gypsyatheart43 03-28-2011 04:44 AM

Whoa, I hope I find a lost box like that....

#1piecemaker 03-28-2011 04:54 AM

I feel that way all of the time. I've got fabric that I forgot I had. I can't stop myself from buying though. It's an addiction.