Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Once I Run Out of Relatives Who Do I Make Quilts For? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/once-i-run-out-relatives-who-do-i-make-quilts-t215540.html)

EllieGirl 03-05-2013 08:22 AM

Once I Run Out of Relatives Who Do I Make Quilts For?

I've been quilting three years. I've made baby quilts for my grandchildren, lap quilts for my two daughters, plan to make lap quilts for my three sisters, I would like to try a queen size quilt for my bed. Then what?? I love doing this but I'm just wondering what to do with all the quilts I want to make

Annie68 03-05-2013 08:25 AM

There's always charitable organizations looking for quilts of all sizes. Do a Google search, quilts for charity.

grammy Dwynn 03-05-2013 08:27 AM

The 'babies' will grow and need a big bed quilt, then down the road they will need a dorm quilt, next is the wedding quilt. :) Also the families might want a quilt or two for their beds. Gifts of table toppers, wall hanging and place mats. Looks like you will busy. :)

Charming 03-05-2013 08:27 AM

Are you kidding???? i want a quilt in every room in the house (wall hangings, table runners...etc). oh and Christmas quilt and easter quilt and let's not talk about bed quilts...i am on my second for my daughter alone as she likes to change with the mood and i am working on a king size for me and have at least three more in my head and i want to change....oh and i do want for all our beds Christmas quilts (and THAT is my mood).....it goes on and on don't worry jusy keep stitching ;-)

Jennalyn 03-05-2013 08:28 AM

Some of the most popular quilting charities seem to be Quilts For Kids, Project Linus, Quilts of Valor, etc.

Another suggestion would be local nursing homes and care centers. A quilt can really brighten someone's day, especially if they're in a situation where they believe that no one cares.

gramajo 03-05-2013 08:32 AM

A homeless shelter, battered women's shelter?

sewincircles 03-05-2013 08:38 AM

Check with a local quilt guild and see who they donate too locally.

kateyb 03-05-2013 08:44 AM

As others have said there is always charities. I am chair of our guild's charity, although I try to keep the ideas and patterns quick and easy I do try to make them nice/pretty also when I do kits for the members to make. Since a lot of the fabrics are donated that is sometimes a challenge. I enjoy the challenge.
When it comes to making quilts for family, I will probably die before I make one for everyone since I am one of 11 siblings, with their spouses, their children and their spouses, and their children my extended family counts at 75. Even making one per couple that is still a lot. Then there are friends I want to make quilts for.
Do you have a cousin or two you would like to make a quilt for?

mighty 03-05-2013 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Charming (Post 5906098)
Are you kidding???? i want a quilt in every room in the house (wall hangings, table runners...etc). oh and Christmas quilt and easter quilt and let's not talk about bed quilts...i am on my second for my daughter alone as she likes to change with the mood and i am working on a king size for me and have at least three more in my head and i want to change....oh and i do want for all our beds Christmas quilts (and THAT is my mood).....it goes on and on don't worry jusy keep stitching ;-)

Same here!!!!!!!!!

Butterflyblue 03-05-2013 08:56 AM

As others have said, there are always charities, and the babies will grow up, and then there are table toppers, tree skirts and all kind of small projects...I'm sure you'll come up with something. ;)