Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   One Block Wonder (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/one-block-wonder-t154603.html)

Cindysue2 09-21-2011 06:07 AM

Okay I just love the look of the one block wonder quilts. Looked at the book but did not buy I am a more visual person. Thought I would like to take a class. Do I really need the class are is this one that is easy to follow? I got the twister and little twister and figured it out and love it. I have only been quilting for about 2 years.

Lori S 09-21-2011 06:10 AM

I do not think a class is really neccessary , its really all about getting the fabrics to line up properly.. amazingly easy after that. .. And a few good pinters about picking fabrics. There is some great tutorials here on this board. that give good step by step instructions.
It really is not hard .. at all.

dunngriffith 09-21-2011 06:20 AM

I don't think a class is necessary since you pick up on things easily. Just go for it!!

knlsmith 09-21-2011 06:20 AM

Its not hard at all. Use the search on here. There are some who have done "sew-a-longs" and lots of info on those threads.

Holice 09-21-2011 06:23 AM

If you can get a class that is convenient to you then take it.
While you probably can do it by just watching and reading, seeing what others are doing is helpful and there is usually a lot of additiona information in a class setting that is useful.

k3n 09-21-2011 06:27 AM

It depends on how you learn whether you need a class or not - the books are very comprehensive and great photos and you need one - the technical construction is covered in the free tutes but not all the fabric choice, design advice etc. The books are great for that and I think Maxine deserves her few dollars.

Iraxy 09-21-2011 06:31 AM

I love OBW's and have made 8-9 of them. The most important thing about them is that you have to pick a good fabric for it. Get something with big prints that are not humungous and have a large repeat (18-24 inches at least), and do not pick a fabric with straight lines as it will be harder to get that flow that you need. Don't get a fabric with too many colors or you will need lots of hexagons to get that flow. Also cutting needs to be at least semi accurate or you will not get the symmetry. Other than that, have at it. I had a friend show me how to do it and I was hooked. If I were smarter, I could figure out how to post the pictures for you to see what I mean.
Have fun, you will be surprised at how beautiful and easy they are to make.

Iraxy 09-21-2011 06:32 AM

PS, DO NOT WASH YOUR FABRIC!!

Cindysue2 09-21-2011 06:33 AM

I was going to buy the book but at the time did not know if there was many different books to choose from. Thanks for the advise it is just right now there are no classes being taught in the area and I wanted to start looking for fabric. Again thanks for the advice and I had not checked out the one here on the board because I am new here and there sure is some beautiful ones. Makes it even more confusing about selecting fabric.

Cindysue2 09-21-2011 06:36 AM

Iraxy thank you! Would love to see the pictures if you ever figure it out!