Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   One Block Wonders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/one-block-wonders-t69596.html)

brookemarie19 10-11-2010 12:05 PM

I am looking to buy one of the books and was wondering which one is best. I really like the blocks, so I am guessing it would be either one block wonders encore or one block wonders cubed. Another question is do both of those books also teach what you would learn in the first book, or do you really need to own them both in order to make one of these. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

np3 10-11-2010 12:06 PM

Good question! I would like to know as well.

smtp5 10-11-2010 12:09 PM

Out quilting class is doing the "one block wonder" and the book is by Maxine Rosenthal...very easy to follow!

it is called-- One-Block Wonders--

woody 10-11-2010 12:18 PM

I have just the second book Encore and it covers the basics as well as some of the cubes.
I haven't seen the Cubed book so I am not sure if it tells you how to do the basic quilt, hopefully someone here will let you know.
They are really fun and addictive.

brookemarie19 10-11-2010 12:35 PM

Yeah, I just love the way that they look and have already bought some fabric for it. I know I really want to make one, its just a matter of which book.

scowlkat 10-11-2010 12:47 PM

Just took the class and was told to have either the One Block Wonders or Encore, think they said the Cubed is more advanced. Lots of fun. Cut like a Stack N Whack but sewn together differently.

brookemarie19 10-11-2010 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Just took the class and was told to have either the One Block Wonders or Encore, think they said the Cubed is more advanced. Lots of fun. Cut like a Stack N Whack but sewn together differently.

Thanks for the info. That is definitely something I needed to know as I am a beginner level of many things anyway.

charismah 10-11-2010 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19

Originally Posted by scowlkat

Thanks for the info. That is definitely something I needed to know as I am a beginner level of many things anyway.

Cubed is alot harder...well not alot but more math..so I say start out slow and get the original stack-n-whack then after you get the hang of that move to cubed.

amma 10-11-2010 02:48 PM

Either of the first two books are a good place to start, then move on to the cubed book. I found it didn't have as much of the basic info in it.

IMHO, if you only want to buy one of the books? Check out one of the first two from your library and get familiar with choosing the fabric, finding the repeats, cutting instructions, etc. and then buy the OBW cubed if cubes interest you :D:D:D