Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   One post on QB that started it all (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/one-post-qb-started-all-t206639.html)

Tashana 11-21-2012 06:59 PM

One post on QB that started it all

A while ago I posted a question about joining a quilting quild because I did not know any quilters in my area. I bit the bullet and joined. Thank you all for nudging me in the right direction. A QB member sent me a pm regarding my quilt guild. We met for a quick cup of coffee which turned into three hours of chi-chat. She ended up joining the same guild and we both decided to leave our kids in capable hands of our DHs and go with our guild to a quilting retreat to Shelter Island. Who would have thought that one simple question on QB would have resulted in a new friendship, meeting a whole group of quilters and having so much fun. Cannot wait for my retreat...it is in March!

patchsamkim 11-21-2012 07:26 PM

How awesome that you have found such a great new friendship because of a post you made here...I hope you have many, many years of quilting together! And enjoy your retreat!

Yarn or Fabric 11-22-2012 04:09 AM

That's wonderful! I'm so glad that you found a new friend and got to join a guild - and go on a retreat! I was in the same boat as you. I live in a town with a large quilt guild however I went to a meeting and did not feel welcomed... at all. I started my own guild and there are a group of active members that get together at least once month, maybe more to sew together. It's wonderful - and several of the ladies I'm beginning to start good friendships with. It's nice having friends with the same interests as you!

orangeroom 11-22-2012 04:38 AM

Tashana, it's nice to hear a story like yours. It gives me hope. Two friends and I had the same experience as 'yarn of fabric' at a local quilt guild. Although I haven't started one of my own, I'd still like to be a member of one. Unfortunately I'll have to go outside of my own town of Perinton. Maybe some day, I'll be able to say the same as you Tashana! Have a happy Thanksgiving Day!

joyce888 11-22-2012 04:52 AM

Doin the Happy Dance for you both!

QM 11-22-2012 05:21 AM

Good for you both. I know my guild changed my life too.

sweetana3 11-23-2012 03:54 AM

I took a chance and went to a retreat in another state. They were so welcoming that I go every year. It is all about taking that first step.

When the internet sort of took off, I asked on a bulletin board if anyone in England wanted to talk about quilting or get together when we were there on vacation. A wonderful woman answered and we have had a now 20+ year friendship. Quilting gives such an immediate common interest and quilters are great people.

Morag 11-23-2012 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5672605)
A while ago I posted a question about joining a quilting quild because I did not know any quilters in my area. I bit the bullet and joined. Thank you all for nudging me in the right direction. A QB member sent me a pm regarding my quilt guild. We met for a quick cup of coffee which turned into three hours of chi-chat. She ended up joining the same guild and we both decided to leave our kids in capable hands of our DHs and go with our guild to a quilting retreat to Shelter Island. Who would have thought that one simple question on QB would have resulted in a new friendship, meeting a whole group of quilters and having so much fun. Cannot wait for my retreat...it is in March!

I could not agree more Tashana. I am semi-retired and found after I stopped working and traveling in my job that I had few friends in the small town we live in. So, I joined a guild and have not looked back since. I have made new friends, went to quilt camp twice, will be going to snow camp in January and made new friends.
Oh yeah, I have learned so much from them and I recently became a board member.
I thank God every day for leading me in that direction.

Pam H 11-23-2012 09:18 AM

How wonderful for you!
I have not joined our local quilt guild but I am going on their retreat in January. Can't wait. Maybe that will motivate me to join the guild.

quilttiger 11-23-2012 10:02 AM

What a blessing it is to meet someone as you did! Oh, you both will have a fun time! Where is Shelter Island located? It was hard to find quilter friends even though I did take quilting classes. I finally joined a quilt guild, and my life has been enriched by such neat friends since then. I am on the board, too, as the treasurer, and I will serve a second term next year, too. Quilt retreats rock! I've gone a couple times.