Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which one???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/one-t298857.html)

LAQUITA 08-11-2018 07:23 PM

Which one????

Ok I have a delima.
I have the opportunity to purchase a FW - working w/bobbin case & footpedal/ cord for $75.00 no case
I also have the opportunity to purchase a 185J in excellent shape with case & several extr feet - cord - pedAl.

My question is which one? I am buying for the reason of taking a non computer machine I. Our camper so that the elements / sand/ dampness......won't mess with the electronics. I know the FW is lighter, But I have found them to Bounce at times on fast straight stitching. Without the hype of a FW taking part in this which would yoh purchase & why please?
Thank you
LaQuita

Jennie and Me 08-11-2018 07:55 PM

Well, hmmm. I don't notice a bounce in my Featherweight, however, I am not a speed sewer. I had to look up the 185J and it looks like a very sturdy machine. Bet it sews like a dream too. Have you tried it? For sturdiness, I would probably go with the 185J. I love my FW, but I purchased it because of it's weight. It does sew a beautiful stitch, however. In the end you have to do what suits your needs best. Not much help, am I!

ragamuffin 08-11-2018 08:47 PM

I would buy both, especially the FW, because you could resale it easily for a lot more.

SusieQOH 08-12-2018 04:32 AM

Wow, that's cheap for a FW!! I'd grab it for sure. Not sure what the other one is. Maybe buy both?
My FW doesn't move either. And sometimes I sew fast, not always.

Tartan 08-12-2018 05:08 AM

I would buy the FW at that price. You can always resell it at a profit. My featherweight does not bounce if it is on a solid surface.

JustAbitCrazy 08-12-2018 05:53 AM

If a FW moves on you when you use it, I'd buy the other machine. That one has a case, too. My mother remembers when featherweights were initially sold-- as a "cheap" sewing machine. She says they were so lightweight they wouldn't stay still on a table and she never liked them for that reason. My mom thought it hilarious that they are all the rage now, and selling for such prices!

Jordan 08-12-2018 07:18 AM

I would buy the FW for that price. I would die to buy a FW but haven't had the chance to see one for sale in my area. I am not familiar with the other machine you are asking about. Good luck on your decision and purchase. Let us know

cashs_mom 08-12-2018 08:00 AM

I've never had my FW bounce but I always use it on and solid surface. I'd snap up that FW for sure.

Twilliebee 08-12-2018 08:29 AM

I have both and find myself using the 185J more frequently. Don't know why, just such a nice straight stitch and so reliable. I don't dislike the FW, but I don't use it as often as I expected to. Either sounds like a great deal and happy camping!

thimblebug6000 08-12-2018 11:04 AM

Is the 185j also only a straight stitch machine?