Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   One too many expos? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/one-too-many-expos-t248412.html)

Scissor Queen 06-14-2014 11:39 AM

I used to go for the shopping and the quilts. Now I mostly go to look at the quilts. I already have oodles more fabric than I'm going to use in the next 10 years and all sorts of gadgets and books for inspiration, not to mention the board and thousands of free patterns all over the internet.

I did discover when I went to the quilt expo in Loveland last year that I had a much, much better time by myself than I did with the friend that I used to go with. I suspect it's because I didn't have her negativity in my ear the whole time. I didn't have to listen to her "critique" of every single quilt and got to appreciate the workmanship and time that went into each one, even if they didn't suit my taste. I did shop for a few very specific things for future projects and mostly found what I was looking for.

KalamaQuilts 06-14-2014 11:41 AM

I haven't ;been through a vendors mall in at least 10 years. That lemming to the cliff buying is ffar behind me and thanks be. :)

Luv Quilts and Cats 06-14-2014 11:44 AM

I don't always find something to buy at a show. Sometimes, I just love to look at the quilts to see what other people are doing. It helps me stretch my imagination for quilts I want to do. If I do buy something, it will be fabric I have never seen or a pattern.

jitkaau 06-15-2014 02:27 AM

I have an additional thought to add to the comments about sameness: The shows are held a considerable distance from where I live and there is very poor public transport. Therefore, I have to pay petrol for the return journey of 1, 2.5 or 13 hours journey. Once I get there, the parking costs can be $13-$35 to add to the entry fee of $14-$20...With less spending money by this stage it has to be something pretty spectacular for me to even want to go again next time.

LindaJ 06-15-2014 02:40 AM

I did the same thing this year at ours. I waited months and found nothing I wanted to do. There were no kits either.

coopah 06-15-2014 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6758183)
I think some of us have hit a stage in life where we have ENOUGH! and have become a lot more selective in what we want or need to bring home.

You said it all, Bearisgray! :thumbup:

wolph33 06-15-2014 04:03 AM

I went to 1,it was 5 hr drive each way-it was the year we test drove every long arm we could before deciding the one for us.The show was amazing,wonderful quilts displayed,toys,tools and fabrics every where.T hat was the only one I was at and that was 5-6 years ago,lol.

lclang 06-15-2014 04:17 AM

I love going to see all the wonderful "stuff" at quilt shows/conventions, etc. but I seldom spend any money. I have cupboards (3) and shelves (2) plus a plethora of bins full of fabric that I need to use up and tons of books and patterns that I haven't made yet. Since I am now 80 years old, I don't need to stock up any more so it really has to be something that strikes my fancy in a big way for me to buy any more.

katesnanna 06-15-2014 04:26 AM

This is the main reason I don't attend the big shows any more. Friend & I attended some smaller shows a few years back and quite enjoyed them. Friend even won the door prize - a lovely blue & white quilt with sunflowers. These days I'd rather stay home and sew. Sounds boring but I have so many things I want to make and with two embroidery machines I'm getting plenty of that done.

meanmom 06-15-2014 05:37 AM

I was going to go to the quilting expo. In my mind I had the wrong weekend. I realized last night at 6:00 that it was yesterday. I forgot to go. I figured that I had saved myself a bunch of money. I would probably have come home with a bunch of fabric etc. I have been trying to sew mostly from my stash for 2 years. I did really want to see the quilt display.