Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Online aurifil source ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/online-aurifil-source-t226341.html)

BellaBoo 07-24-2013 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cottage Dee (Post 6193502)
I heard that whatever weight is on top should be used in the bobbin...did I misunderstand?

I've never heard this from any quilt teacher I have taken classes from. Most say use a thin bobbin thread. Less bulk in the seam. I don't understand the reasoning for the same wt thread top and bottom. Maybe for clothing?

Cottage Dee 07-24-2013 06:02 AM

It was whenever the,top,thread broke, etc...I was advised, I thought, to make sure the top and bottom were the same....maybe the meant the same mfr?

Prism99 07-24-2013 08:21 AM

It's not necessary to use the same thread in top and bobbin. Top thread breaking would be typically caused by not adjusting the tension correctly and/or by using too weak a thread in the top. Once you understand how to adjust bobbin tension and top tension, there really is no problem using different threads together in the machine.

One thing you do *not* want to do is use coated thread in a machine. I don't know about all possibilities, but thread labeled "hand quilting thread" typically has a coating that can gum up the tension discs in a machine. Knowing this can save you from a trip to the sewing machine doctor.

Girlfriend 07-24-2013 10:52 PM

When I became hooked on Aurifil and realized the price, I did a google search for the large cones. I found them at a great price on eBay. Bought 2 cones, one white and the other beige. It's been over a year ago and I've hardly put a dent in them. They last a long, long, time.

jillmc 07-25-2013 03:47 AM

Is $33 a.good price for a cone and do you need a special "holder" on the machine for the cone?

Girlfriend 07-25-2013 06:54 AM

Yes, $33 is a good price when you compare the amount of thread you get VS the small spools.

My new machine holds the large cones, but for my other machine (doesn't), I bought a $7.00 metal stand at Joann's. I've read on this board, however, that people make their own, and use a safety pin taped to the side of their machine as the threader. You might want to check that out.

jillmc 07-25-2013 09:48 AM

Just a quick update....I ordered 7 spools (50/2 wt, 1422yds) aurifil from sue's sewezdesigns, and they arrived today-very fast shipping! Total was $50.10 (including priority shipping). Can't beat that! Just a very satisfied customer here....

lklos303 07-25-2013 02:09 PM

I use discountembroiderysupply.com $9.00 each order 3 spools and no shipping.

gale 07-25-2013 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by jillmc (Post 6195819)
Just a quick update....I ordered 7 spools (50/2 wt, 1422yds) aurifil from sue's sewezdesigns, and they arrived today-very fast shipping! Total was $50.10 (including priority shipping). Can't beat that! Just a very satisfied customer here....

Wow, that is a great price. :thumbup: I'll have to bookmark her site.

gale 07-25-2013 02:31 PM

I also noticed they sell a color chart.