Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Online fabric shopping! Help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/online-fabric-shopping-help-t192653.html)

tropit 07-28-2020 10:38 AM

Funny, I don't think that I've ever bought quilting fabric from a brick and mortar store. The last store we had in our area closed several years ago. Sad.

I love Connecting Threads for everyday stuff: connectingthreads.com.

If you are looking for some beautiful, organic, sustainable fabrics, try HoneybeGood: https://www.honeybegood.com.

If you are looking for historical, American fabrics, (mostly upholstery, but some suitable for quilting,) try Brick House Fabrics: https://www.brickhousefabrics.com.

If you're looking for fabric from far off lands, try Fabric Indulgence: FabricandArt.com.

Have fun!

~ C

aashley333 07-29-2020 01:53 AM

Another satisfied customer of fabric.com. They are nice and allow returns. I received the wrong indoor/outdoor fabric--they said just keep it and then sent the correct piece!

cinjosie 07-29-2020 03:25 AM

Fabric Shack

The Fabric Shack in Waynesville, OH has BEAUTIFUL fabrics ------ You could shop in store before Covid 19 but now it is all online and they ship FREE. I believe they will even take phone calls and are very helpful in finding what you need. You would never be unhappy with fabric from them.

juliasb 07-29-2020 05:01 AM

I have rarely been disappointed with the fabrics I have purchased on line. I am always watchful of the fabric content. Once in awhile that can get thrown off. Color and pattern wise most online retailers are pretty careful to match and give a scale marking for you to get the best idea of what is really there. Color of course can be a bit tricky depending on the setting of you monitor I personally have never had this issue. I buy the majority of my fabrics from Fabric.com. or Hancock of Paducah. I do experiment with a few others from time to time but when experimenting or buying for the first time I stay with sale fabrics.
Like you I do not have a LQS near me and I want that quality so I avoid JAF when ever possible.Online shopping is the next best thing.

Peckish 07-29-2020 08:07 AM

A lot of the brick-and-mortar stores around me have gone to online-only shopping, and about half of them were before the virus so we can't blame it all on that. I think the overhead is a huge factor.
There's a quilt shop on the coast not too far from me, when the virus hit they started doing a neat thing every week: a FB live video (which you can watch later, of course) where they showcase 20 or so different fabrics. The owner takes her time and describes the fabric, gives the name of the line and the manufacturer, moves the fabric around, the camera zooms in so you can get a really good look at it. I think this is brilliant, you get a much better sense of what the fabric looks like than you do with just a picture.

Kinda funny how these ancient threads get revived.

SallyS 07-29-2020 09:13 AM

I've ordered from Quilting Twins and found that the quality varies, but the service is excellent. I was disappointed with an order from Etsy because the color was not what was represented in the picture. The lesson I've learned is not to order from individuals, but the online shops others have mentioned. And it feels like my birthday when fabric arrives at my door!

tropit 08-01-2020 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8405992)
A lot of the brick-and-mortar stores around me have gone to online-only shopping, and about half of them were before the virus so we can't blame it all on that. I think the overhead is a huge factor.
There's a quilt shop on the coast not too far from me, when the virus hit they started doing a neat thing every week: a FB live video (which you can watch later, of course) where they showcase 20 or so different fabrics. The owner takes her time and describes the fabric, gives the name of the line and the manufacturer, moves the fabric around, the camera zooms in so you can get a really good look at it. I think this is brilliant, you get a much better sense of what the fabric looks like than you do with just a picture.

Kinda funny how these ancient threads get revived.

Now, there's an example of good ole Yankee ingenuity. I love to see shop owners with a strong, entrepreneurial spirit! It makes me want to buy from them all the more.

~ C

tropit 08-01-2020 08:10 AM

Side note: When I moved to my current place, I opened a PO Box at the Post Office. One of the first pieces of mail that I received came addressed to a former owner of the box. It was a Connecting Threads catalog. It is what got me started in quilting. I ordered a kit and never looked back.

~ C

annt59 08-01-2020 08:55 PM

Http://Thousandsofbolts.com. Brand name sales in colors under $6. Very satisfied.

annt59 08-01-2020 08:56 PM

Http://Quiltednursery.com
Lovely fabric and excellent customer service.