Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   It only took me four hours!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/only-took-me-four-hours-t80259.html)

Renee110 12-02-2010 08:55 PM

I am exhausted mentally....I just started sewing and "quilting" 2 months ago...haven't done any quilting yet as I'm still piecing my top together....

And I've not used a sewing machine since homec class 25 years ago....

So of course I decided to make potholders and placemats for my barn customers.

ONE potholder took me 4 flipping hours to make. I feel like I've run a marathon or something. I'm exhausted.

Ya'll folks who put together a whole quilt top in a day freak me out!

Spudgm 12-02-2010 08:56 PM

Hang in there, its kind of like riding a bike it will come back to you with some time and practice.

cjomomma 12-02-2010 08:59 PM

I remember when it took me sooooo long to get anything done. Now if I put my mind to it I can throw a quilt together quickly.
As you learn it will get easier and you will want to make quilty thing all the time, 4 hours will seem like nothing.

pookie ookie 12-02-2010 09:10 PM

I'm still amazed at how long some things take to complete. It *feels* like my hand-sewing is quicker than the machine with templates and paper piecing.

leahbug 12-02-2010 09:21 PM

The next one will be easier and go together quicker.
My daughter came over today and has decided she wants to learn to sew..... She made a pillow case and was very proud of her accomplishment.. I am excited that she is interested finally and look forward to having her as a sewing buddy.
Good luck with your next pot holder.

kristen0112 12-02-2010 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Renee110
I am exhausted mentally....I just started sewing and "quilting" 2 months ago...haven't done any quilting yet as I'm still piecing my top together....

ONE potholder took me 4 flipping hours to make. I feel like I've run a marathon or something. I'm exhausted.

You'll get faster. Especially if you haven't sewn for 25 yrs. Most of the women who do the in one day quilt tops have been sewing for years and years. Hang in there you'll get faster and better the more you work at it.

Stitchnripper 12-02-2010 09:53 PM

Don't be discouraged! I don't think I could make a quilt in a day, even an easy one, because I lack the attention span! Go at your own pace and you will be able to accomplish more in less time. I guess the point is to enjoy the process!!

burnsk 12-02-2010 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Renee110

Hang in there, it'll all come back.

Love your Avatar. One of yours? Love the 'come hither' look. Or is it "I dare you"?

sewdarnbusy 12-02-2010 10:39 PM

I suck at pot holders... so hang in there. In my experience, small projects can be more time consuming than larger projects. The first one always takes the longest.
Try something else.
Also this is the perfect time to start a sewing or quilting journal. Take a photo of every project and save it by the date. You will enjoy looking back at it someday. Even the 4 hour pot holders will be interesting, looking back.

earthwalker 12-02-2010 10:43 PM

Each quilt I do the process gets quicker. As your confidence builds, your hands and machine will just fly! Took me a whole year to make a pillowcase in home economics when I was 15. If you'd have told me I'd "grow" into a quilter I would have laughed my head off.

Anyway, hang in there....it's probably a very cool potholder so as sewdarnbusy suggests, take a pic and journal it - then get on with the next one.