Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oops! Did I cut the correct number of pieces? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oops-did-i-cut-correct-number-pieces-t254248.html)

seaside quilter 09-23-2014 01:09 PM

Oops! Did I cut the correct number of pieces?

I making a strip rag quilt. I cut 28 strips (5") out of 4 yards of fabric. I’m trying to arrange it on paper and have hit a wall. I think if I arrange the strips 2 strips wide by 14 strips long (that will make a quilt 90x70). Is that correct? Is that a normal size? Lately, I just can’t think straight.

PaperPrincess 09-23-2014 01:18 PM

Well, a quilt top measuring 90 X70 = 6300 square inches. Your strips are 5" wide, so will yield a strip 4.5" after you deduct the seam allowance. 4.5" X 40" for width of fabric gives you 180 square inches per strip, assuming you use the entire strip, no additional seams. 28 strips will be only 5040 square inches. So there is no way that you can arrange the strips to make a 90X70 quilt top.
Sorry, I don't understand the 2 strips by 14 arrangement...

Sewnoma 09-23-2014 01:38 PM

I think your 2x14 strip arrangement will give you a quilt closer to 63" by 80-ish, the "ish" depending on how wide your yardage was. 5" strips finish at 4.5 inches; times 14 strips is 63 inches. Then the 80-ish is the width of your fabric times two, minus a half-inch for seam allowance and another inch or so for binding (assuming half-inch binding).

Does that help?

QuiltnNan 09-23-2014 02:35 PM

but if she's making a rag quilt, aren't the seam allowances 1/2" for a total finish of 1" less than the strip width?

yadroc 09-24-2014 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6901262)
but if she's making a rag quilt, aren't the seam allowances 1/2" for a total finish of 1" less than the strip width?

I agree. She is forgetting the seem allowances with the size of 90 x 70. I usually use 1/2 in seem allowance with rag quilts.

seaside quilter 09-24-2014 03:33 AM

Thank you all for your input. I will use 1/2" seam allowance throughout. I think if it turns out to be approx 63x80 per Sewnoma's suggestion, I'll be happy. I'd love to see pictures of YOUR strip rag quilts! Have a great day, all.

PaperPrincess 09-24-2014 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by seaside quilter (Post 6901753)
Thank you all for your input. I will use 1/2" seam allowance throughout. I think if it turns out to be approx 63x80 per Sewnoma's suggestion, I'll be happy. I'd love to see pictures of YOUR strip rag quilts! Have a great day, all.

As the other posters said, with a rag quilt, you probably want to use 1/2 inch seams. Sewnoma's estimate was using quarter inch seam, or 4.5" strips. With half an inch seams, and 4" strips, you are going to wind up with something closer to 56 inches wide.

Edie 09-25-2014 03:12 AM

I have been saving for over one year now Jelly Rolls - 2-1/2" wide to make a strip quilt. I want to make mine big - hang way over the side big - I have about 9 rolls now and am going to start working on it this winter. I made a foot quilt for my husband a few years ago and it was fun. One question - when you use more than one jelly roll, do you cut 18" of the first piece off each roll, or do you just cut it once at the beginning when you start sewing them all together. I am really looking forward to this. Wish us all luck, we who are embarking on a strip quilt. Edie

Sewnoma 09-25-2014 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6901918)
As the other posters said, with a rag quilt, you probably want to use 1/2 inch seams. Sewnoma's estimate was using quarter inch seam, or 4.5" strips. With half an inch seams, and 4" strips, you are going to wind up with something closer to 56 inches wide.

Yes! Sorry, I missed the 'rag' part of your original post, Seaside Quilter. You will want wider seam allowances if you're going to rag the quilt, which will shrink your top just a little more.

GingerK 09-25-2014 05:12 AM

And if you are using flannel, it will shrink even more with a couple of washings and dryings. If you have any extra co-ordinating fabric, you might want to cut a few more strips. To add some interest, you might want to stagger your seam lines too. Otherwise you will end up with one big ragged seam going right down the middle.