Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oops--Virtual Quilting Weekend (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oops-virtual-quilting-weekend-t307803.html)

Raggiemom 11-03-2019 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by LynnBBQ (Post 8322456)
I've been lurking here for a while but I am ready to join in. Can someone tell me what we do for a Virtual Quilting Weekend? Do we tell everyone what our plans are? Thank you!

It can be whatever you want. Some quilt, some shop, some organize their rooms, some plan. Some may just keep an eye on the thread and see what everyone else is working on. I often start the thread Thursday night in case of our overseas quilters are joining us. Hope you're able to join!

Battle Axe 11-04-2019 04:01 AM

Blame it on the dreadful time change. That's why I moved to Indiana, to get away from the time change-itis that I experience for at least a week after the rest of the world figures it out. Then Indiana decided to join the time changers. Arizona is the one left, and I might have to move there if I don't get rid of this sinus infection.

I've been slaving over this twinned border. Everyone has tried to help and I have tried all their suggestions. I discover now that I had used the wrong needle position, should have been the middle one. But I'm determined to get this right as this all goes into the show and tell, this Friday at the Bonnie Hunter lecture.

LynnBBQ 11-04-2019 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom (Post 8322488)
It can be whatever you want. Some quilt, some shop, some organize their rooms, some plan. Some may just keep an eye on the thread and see what everyone else is working on. I often start the thread Thursday night in case of our overseas quilters are joining us. Hope you're able to join!

OK - I can handle that! I have a couple of projects actively going and I'll join in.

Iceblossom 11-04-2019 06:05 AM

[QUOTE=Battle Axe;8322650I've been slaving over this twinned border. Everyone has tried to help and I have tried all their suggestions. I discover now that I had used the wrong needle position, should have been the middle one. [/QUOTE]

Yikes! That would make quite the difference over the length of that border.

I'm having troubles with the Bernina 820, it was a dud of a machine with many lemons that Bernina refuses to fix or acknowledge other than taking this machine out of its lineup -- it's like Sergeant Schultz from Hogan's Heroes "I know nothing!". So far, this one has been working but fussy, but some sort of issue has arisen with the thread sensor. I've tried all the fixes. I've tried resetting to default. I've tried different threads although it worked just fine the day before (and for days before that without a single issue). I know some people have to take the front panel off of their models, but this isn't exactly that problem.

So now it only sews about 8 stitches with perfect tension (not the nesting issue) and then stops and I have to hit an X and it goes on for another 8 stitches, stops, repeat. I have a sample sewn with three different top threads and two different bobbins, showing exactly where the stops happen.

I'm going to go down to the shop today, it's not my favorite shop anyway because of the snobby factor, maybe they will treat me better with a Bernina, but I'm expecting a "oh we'll give you a wonderful trade in value on our overpriced machines that we could obviously sell at that discount without a trade in" and a $300+ servicing where they remove some thread that I can't get to and tell me the problem is solved.

Of course I'm also dealing with a water heater having issues and a car with issues.

But it's a guess it's a good thing when a bottom of the line Brother can out perform a top of the line Bernina. Like "done beats perfect", working beats non-working every day of the week.

NZquilter 11-04-2019 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't you worry, Heather! We will all be here for the next VQweekend! I worked on this over the weekend, hoping to finish it this week.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]619278[/ATTACH]

QuiltingLawyer 11-04-2019 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter (Post 8322787)
Don't you worry, Heather! We will all be here for the next VQweekend! I worked on this over the weekend, hoping to finish it this week.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]619278[/ATTACH]

I have to ask... are you FMQing on that Singer? How are you doing that? I can't find my machine that I usually use for FMQing (I think it's still in storage from the move) but I do have a similar Singer in the closet. Thank you in advance!

petthefabric 11-04-2019 11:29 AM

Looking forward to next weekend. Had lots to do this weekend.

NZquilter 11-04-2019 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingLawyer (Post 8322808)
I have to ask... are you FMQing on that Singer? How are you doing that? I can't find my machine that I usually use for FMQing (I think it's still in storage from the move) but I do have a similar Singer in the closet. Thank you in advance!

Thanks for asking! Yes, I use my vintage Singer 15-91 for FMQing. It's in a cabinet, so the surface is all flush, plus I have an ironing board set up behind it for more table space. As for quilting on it, I drop the feed-dogs and set my both top and bottom tensions higher. i use a simple cheap FMQing foot. Here's a thread where FMQing on vintage Singers was discussed: https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintag...q-t295290.html

LynnBBQ 11-08-2019 07:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'll delete this if it does not work - first time adding pictures here. I'm working on the Pam Buda Circa 1880 Club quilt. It is a block-of-the-month type subscription for one year, that is the only way you can get the pattern and the templates. I started making the teeny tiny blocks in May and have most of the 500+ 2 1/2 inch blocks finished. Now I'm working on assembling them into units and then to strips and eventually into a quilt. There is a lot of potential for fussy-cutting so I have a few mixed in with the standard blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619427[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]619428[/ATTACH]