Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Open pressed seams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/open-pressed-seams-t211101.html)

MarleneC 01-18-2013 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR (Post 5789752)
Confession: I've tried several times to press my seams open, and it always ends in burnt fingers and frustration. What am I doing wrong? I've watched people do it online before but my seams just don't ever seem to want to open.

I start the seam by finger pressing it first or using something I have laying around to press it open and then just press the rest of the seam starting at that end.

nhweaver 01-18-2013 08:48 AM

I have a sleeve ham sitting in the drawer for years, never used it. I will try it when I press the seams open. what a great idea. Re utilization of tools!

Originally Posted by JulieR (Post 5790423)
Oh! I will definitely try this, thanks! I always try to finger press them apart before I press, but it doesn't always make things better.

cindyb 01-18-2013 08:50 AM

At the last AQS show in Grand Rapids a vendor was selling two size strips that actually looks like quarter round (you use for trim on walls, doors, floors etc) covered with very low loft batting and muslin. This lifts the seam just enough that the iron does not disturb the other sides and makes the finger pressing really easy before using the iron. This is now my new favorite tool!!!!!
Also, using open seams eliminates the 'scant quarter inch issue'.

Oh! I will definitely try this, thanks! I always try to finger press them apart before I press, but it doesn't always make things better.

dcamarote 01-18-2013 08:50 AM

Appropriate topic since I recently started pressing seams open. It takes a little longer for me but worth the effort, especially when I am doing triangles.

feffertim 01-18-2013 08:52 AM

I just signed up for the new craftsy class by Anita Grossman Soloman and she presses all her seams open. It makes a lot of sense to me because when I am making a large quilt, I always seem to lose track of which way the seams go and end up with two seams going the same way no matter how careful I think I am being. I will always press mine open from now on

MimiBug123 01-18-2013 09:12 AM

I think the press to the side originated when all seams were sewn by hand. It definitely made the seams stronger. Now that almost everything is machine sewn, I don't think it makes that much difference.

Michellesews 01-18-2013 09:15 AM

I am a longarmer and all my customers press to one side. It makes no difference. The seams in the finished quilt are stronger pressed to one side. when pressed open, all that is between the two pieces of fabric is a line of stitching. Make sense?

solstice3 01-18-2013 09:39 AM

I have found that it depends on the patttern. I was always taught to iron seams open. It threw me for a loop when I started quilting that you are sometimes told to press them to the side.

MadQuilter 01-18-2013 09:42 AM

I have pressed some open and some to the side. The only time I would not press open is if the planned quilting is SID.

sniktasemaj 01-18-2013 11:50 AM

That just doesn't work for me. I can't find any way to easily press open. it takes forever.