Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Open seams and stitch in the ditch? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/open-seams-stitch-ditch-t242957.html)

Annie Pearl 03-11-2014 03:43 AM

Open seams and stitch in the ditch?

I don't FMQ yet I SITD. I am making a throw for my couch and plan to try pressing the seams open to see how I like it. Can you still SITD with pressed open seams because you'll just be stitching over the stitches?
:sew::wave:

toverly 03-11-2014 04:06 AM

I wouldn't. It just doesn't seem as secure as pressing seams to the side and stitching over fabric. But then, I have never been happy with open seams.

DOTTYMO 03-11-2014 04:11 AM

I agree with toverly . If you thing with an open seam and the Sitd you would be sewing on the thread and not joining fabric. Press to one side and stitch as close as you can to the seam but not I it.

feline fanatic 03-11-2014 04:12 AM

Are you machine piecing? If so then your seams will probably be strong enough for SITD pressed open. If you are hand piecing then, no I would not recommend pressing your seams open.

Tartan 03-11-2014 04:12 AM

I pressed my center seams open when I did my Spiderweb quilt. I FMQ spiderwebs on it but the quilting cause the open seams to separate enough I could see the thread. I had used grey thread on black fabric and I ended up having to use a sharpie to cover the thread, lesson learned. If you have a close thread match it should be okay but SITD beside, not over the thread.

ManiacQuilter2 03-11-2014 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 6620350)
I wouldn't. It just doesn't seem as secure as pressing seams to the side and stitching over fabric. But then, I have never been happy with open seams.

I would only press open the seam on vary rare occasion. SITD is very weak stitch if there is no fabric to hold the sandwich together. Beside, even if they have made improvement with battings, there is always the chance of your batting migrating thru the pressed open seam especially if your fabric is very dark such as black.

nativetexan 03-11-2014 05:59 AM

if you do, I would stitch 1/4 inch away from your actual seam on each side. not right on the threads.

soccertxi 03-11-2014 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 6620602)
if you do, I would stitch 1/4 inch away from your actual seam on each side. not right on the threads.

I second that. If you try to stitch right ON the seam line (as there would be no ditch), you run the risk of cutting the seam line. Even just off to the side an 1/8th or 1/16th of an inch, would be better than on the seam. JMHO

Jeanne S 03-11-2014 06:15 AM

I agree if you press seams open you should not SITD right on the seams but rather just to the side to catch the top and one of the seam allowances for strength. I never press seams open, I guess I have not done a quilt that needed them pressed open.

AliKat 03-11-2014 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 6620602)

Consider it a form of echo quilting. Though you might want to try a bit of simple quilting with a practice sample and see how that goes, like orange peel. It all depends on the design of your quilt.